Question Windows Firewall Exception Notification not showing when launching a new Game/App

Just built a new pc and using Windows 11 primarily a gaming pc and use the typical game launchers.

A few days ago I installed a few game launchers; Steam, World of Tanks, EA, Ubisoft and played two games. One was World of Tanks (Wargaming) and the other was hell Let Loose (Steam).

When these games were launched for the first time the typical Windows Firewall Box appears for you to either allow or black the app. Both were allowed and played fine.

I have no idea if this is related, but removed the GTX 1550 TI used to power up the pc and play the games stated above. Installed a RTX 4070 TI and drivers and ran 3DMark benches with great results and no issues.

Tried to play Hell Let Loose through Steam and it would not connect. When I look at the Firewall permissions Hell Let Loose is not even listed any longer.

I then tried to launch World of Warships through the Wargaming launcher and do not get the Windows Firewall Notification to either allow of block access to the internet.

Is there a setting I've missed? I do realize that I can correct the issue by setting up the Firewall permissions manually. My question is why? Why is the exception box not popping up like it has done on Windows for the last decade?

Appreciate any advice.

This is a new gaming pc build and I went with Windows 11 as it was released in October 2021. Plenty of time to get the major bugs worked out, or so you would think.

Today's date is Feburary 2, 2023.

When trying to resolve this situation last night, it felt like I was transported back to Vista in 2007.

On any other MS operating system over the last decade, when you launch a game for the first time you usually get the MS Firewall notice that asks wether you want to allow or block the app.

Here's the rundown of what happened and how it has been "fixed".

Built the pc and updated BIOS, chipset drivers, gpu, sound codec and W11.

This pc did ask for Firewall permission twice using a 1050 ti gpu. Don't think the gpu is involved but stating for total clarification. Once to play Hell Let Loose through Steam and World of Tanks through Wargaming.

MS W11 updates were on "pause 1week" setting. No additonal update was available at that time.

Two days later, removed GTX 1550 TI

Installed RTX 4070 TI and drivers

Launched Steam and tried to launch Hell Let Loose, no connection.
Launched War Gaming and World of Tanks still had permission through the firewall and worked.

Tried all the suggestion from Google searches that date back to 2021 with W11. None worked except one of the oldest suggestions on the issue.

Find the game or app .exe file.
Right click and go to properties
Set Compatability Mode to Windows 8, yes you read that correctly, not a typo, it is the year 2023
Set Run as Administrator

I then laucned Hell Let Loose and viola,! The Firewall permission notification popped up on the screen to allow access.

Had the same issue with World of Warships not launching but World of Tanks would. Compatability Mode 8 and Run as Admin...voila.

I was in total shock and disbelief that Windows 11 still suffers from this type of issue well over a year after release?

Hope this is helpful to someone else who encounters this issue.

On any other MS operating system over the last decade, when you launch a game for the first time you usually get the MS Firewall notice that asks whether you want to allow or block the app
no, you don't.
since Windows 3.1 i've never run into auto-firewall settings.
you may be surprised but most people do not just use the included Firewall.

and even if some do they don't just wait for each specific application to request a recommendation.
any intuitive users would setup specific folders, drives, etc to use manually configured settings.

definitely had nothing to do with your new device installation, just a built-in network option that hadn't been properly configured.