Question Windows has issues if I don't boot into BIOS first

ANewPCBuilder

Reputable
Nov 12, 2019
I'm having this extraordinarily strange issue with my PC. When I turn it on, it boots up seemingly fine, but then Windows only shows on my second monitor, and after a few minutes, it crashes to a BSOD with an error code of either IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL or SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. The weird thing is that if I first boot into the BIOS, don't change any settings, and then boot into windows, the PC works perfectly fine. I've tried running all sorts of games and applications and they run just fine without any crashes, low fps, or BSOD.

Does anyone know why this could be happening and how I could fix it?
Thanks
Specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Gigabyte AORUS ELITE
OLOy 32gb 3200mhz ram
RTX 2060 Super
Seasonic 750w Gold+ PSU
Samsung 970 evo plus
Seagate 2tb 7200rpm hdd

Edit: Another Error code I've received on the BSODs is "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED".

Last edited:

ANewPCBuilder

Reputable
Nov 12, 2019
Try running chkdsk for each of your drives. Are Windows and hardware drivers up to date?
I've checked Windows Update and it says that I am completely up-to-date. I only have the free version, but whenever I run Driver Booster, it says that my drivers are up-to-date. I ran chkdsk in windows and it said "File system was checked, no problems found. No further actions required."

I'm having this extraordinarily strange issue with my PC. When I turn it on, it boots up seemingly fine, but then Windows only shows on my second monitor, and after a few minutes, it crashes to a BSOD with an error code of either IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL or SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. The weird thing is that if I first boot into the BIOS, don't change any settings, and then boot into windows, the PC works perfectly fine. I've tried running all sorts of games and applications and they run just fine without any crashes, low fps, or BSOD.

Does anyone know why this could be happening and how I could fix it?
Thanks
Specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Gigabyte AORUS ELITE
OLOy 32gb 3200mhz ram
RTX 2060 Super
Seasonic 750w Gold+ PSU
Samsung 970 evo plus
Seagate 2tb 7200rpm hdd

Edit: Another Error code I've received on the BSODs is "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED".
thermal expansion/contraction problem:
consider this: RAM stick has many chips on it, one chip does not have a proper solder connection to the RAM board. If the leg of the RAM chip is one of the address lines for the chip then when the chip is cold the address bit will be disconnected because the chip shrinks away from the pad when cold. After about 5 to 7 seconds after the memory chip gets power then the chip leg will expand slightly and will make a connection.

so if you do a cold boot, with fast startup the address line will start out as disconnected (always off) even if the memory controller told it to be on. windows will load data into the memory with the disconnected chip leg. Then when the chip heats up the signal then gets to the leg and the correct address is used on the next attempt to use the data. This will cause the memory block to jump by a offset and the data will be unexpected and not match the data written on the first write. This would be a memory corruption and the system will bugcheck if it is in a checked area.

These are very hard to find, you have to take the heat sinks off of the RAM sticks and look at the pin solder connections with a stereoscope.

not fun to find these problems. generally you would use a heat gun and heat a suspect area and see if the problem goes away.
then use a electronics cooling spray to force the problem to occur.

most people just swap out RAM chips until the problem goes away.

most people with a problem like this indicate basically, the machine works when fails when cold but if I reboot it works find when warm.

anyway, it will give you an idea why it happens.
(note, the problem can be in any connection in your computer but is pretty common on RAM sticks maybe .1 to .3 percent of RAM.
the RAM passes QA most of the time unless you do a cold thermal test, Most hardware testers will not find the problem

I believe the MOBO is around 1.5 years old, so I guess that would make the CMOS battery around the same age.
That isn't terribly old, but sometimes mobos have batteries which sit around for quite some time before installing at the OEM. I wouldn't say that this is "big" on the possible causes, but it is old enough that it has a possibility of needing replacement in some circumstances. If other steps don't fix this, then consider replacing that and resetting BIOS settings (you might take note of settings prior to replacing any CMOS battery).

Reinstall windows and DO NOT use driver booster, that thing causes more issues then it ever solves. After you install windows, fully update it and download the latest drivers from Nvidia for the gpu and Gigabyte for your motherboard drivers.