Question How much would playing HDR media affect laptop battery life ?

ethan206

Honorable
Jul 27, 2018
Laptop model: ASUS G14 (2024)

I recently started watching a lot of HDR media (YouTube & Hulu/Disney+) on my laptop and the difference between that and SDR is night and day (especially the contrast since I have an OLED panel) but the only issue is that I have to manually turn on HDR in Settings each time I want to be able to watch HDR content (which I thought was odd as my phone doesn't have an HDR toggle switch and just adapts to HDR content automatically).

My question is how much HDR would impact battery life on Windows if I just left it enabled all the time? My laptop screen brightness goes up to 417 nits in SDR and 446 in HDR (full screen) and I don't have it maxed out at 100% brightness all the time. However, HDR can peak up to 616 nits but I'm not sure how Windows would manage that if I manually lower my screen brightness. And while HDR looks awesome for media content, why does the Windows UI look so washed out when I turn on HDR?

Solution
If I remember correctly using HDR on a laptop can affect the battery by up to 30% more power draw. Go to HDR setting and see if you can optimize the battery for HDR use. (Haven't used a laptop in a long time.)

TRENDING THREADS