[SOLVED] Windows home menu and searchbar not working. Bluescreen after restart.

Mar 22, 2021
Background: Windows 10 up to date. OS was not upgraded from older Windows, but installed directly on clean HDD. PC is about 4 years old (built from parts, not bought as a whole) and had no major problem prior to this one.

2 day ago I boot up my PC and i notice that my Windows home menu is not working. Both pressing the icon on the taskbar and the key on the keyboard would not work. The same thing happened to the Windows searchbar. Other then that, the rest of the taskbar was working fine.

I usually use Apache OpenOffice for my work, but that day, it would not open my txt files. The program could not read them (as if they were corrupt), so i had to make do with Wordpad, which was working just fine.

At one point I tryed to update my graphics card driver through NVidia Experience, but it failed to do so. (I was not paying attention at the time so i cannot remember what errors were specifically)

Throughout the day, I had no problems searching the web, going on Youtube, accessing mail, even playing games.

At one point i saved and closed everithing I had opened and then I tried restarting it from the button. After that, Windows would fail to boot up. First screen with the motherboard appears, then blue-screen with "Ran into a problem; Need to restart; Collecting error data"

What i have tried in order:

-Restarting the PC manually untill auto-diagnose and auto-repair kick in: It went past "Diagnosing PC" to "Attempting repairs". I have left it over the night to self-repair, but the next day, after about 9-10 hours, it was still "Attempting repairs".

-System Restore: It would not even boot into the Windows Repair Menu, so I put in the Windows CD, boot it up and try to do a System Restore from there. I had an Automatic Restore point about 2/3 days before the problem occured. The only affected program would have been Microsoft Edge (which i have not used at all). At the end it says it failed and it gives me error 0x80070571

-Boot up in safe mode: With the Windows CD, i tried going into command console and making it boot up in safe mode by default. It made no change.

-System Restore (again); as i thought that making it boot up in safe mode by default would make a difference.

Is there any way to fix it without formating my HDD and losing the data on it? (Or to at least make it boot up in safe mode so i can back up my files into an external HDD) I can try to provide further information if needed.

Last edited:
Solution
Take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warning, and even informational events that correspond with the problems.

Reliability History is much more user friendly and presents a timeline format that can prove very helpful.

Check Window's update history - there could be been some failed or corrupted update.

As for the HDD: remember that anything you do may cause loss of data.

Ensure that the backups you now have are stored off of the system.

Manually copy any files created or changed to another location or media. Determine if those files are indeed recoverable and readable before any further attempts to get the system back in good order.

Try using "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to repair windows...

Ralston18

Titan
Take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warning, and even informational events that correspond with the problems.

Reliability History is much more user friendly and presents a timeline format that can prove very helpful.

Check Window's update history - there could be been some failed or corrupted update.

Manually copy any files created or changed to another location or media. Determine if those files are indeed recoverable and readable before any further attempts to get the system back in good order.

Try using "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to repair windows.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

Again: try to first backup and protect whatever important files you have.

Solution
Mar 22, 2021

Try using "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to repair windows.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

Again: try to first backup and protect whatever important files you have.

The How-to-geek link worked. DISM check fixed it for me. Must have been some corrupted Windows files then.
Thank you!