Windows Home Server PowerPack 2 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

spazoid

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
It does not support 64 bit.

The next version of WHS (not the next PowerPack) will be restricted to 64bit, but the current version will likely never see a 64bit variant.

I've downloaded and successfully installed PP2 and it's running without any issues so far.

wiseadam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
The only reason I'd want a 64 bit version would be to build a stupid fast server with more than 4gb's of ram, simply because it's cheaper than you'd think.
Auto update installed and restarted my server last night, scared the crap out of me...browsing pictures then BAM, not available, cannot connect. Scares me when that happens. Anyway, I could see a couple different looks on the console, good couple of improvements, but not much.

I'm ready for version 2, because this one is working very very well. I'm pleased with the access options I currently have. In the house, 1 desktop, 1 laptop, xbox 360, ps3 and the home server, all sync up with no issues. I can also then access everything from the web, totally worth it!

G

The majority of the people this product is aimed at probably don't have 64 bit OS's, so probably not a rush for that capability. Having said that I love it! I have been using it for a while now and while the backup ability was my original strong point for going this way, the tie in with the Xbox and streaming capabilities were just bonuses!
I have put some of my thoughts about Windows Home Server together here if someone is wondering if they should be looking at it,http://www.squidoo.com/windows-home-server-info

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Which is the better option for adding network back up capabilities to my home network?

Upgrading one system to Windows Home Server, or upgrading all three systems to Windows 7 Ultimate (I have free access to it.)?

Currently I have a notebook running Vista Home Premium and two desktops running XP Professional (Which apparently doesn’t allow back up over the network, or maybe it was the Vista that didn’t allow it, I can’t recall.). I will be adding another PC to act as a Media Center/HTPC. If I buy it, it will have Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed. If I build it, I can choose the OS. I will have to add high capacity hard drives to at least one system to act as the backup server

Status
Not open for further replies.