Windows Insider Build 14390: A Minor Update Before A Major One

Status
Not open for further replies.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Which will hopefully allow explorer.exe to have full support for file paths longer than 255 characters. GPU usage sensor in task manager. Battery capacity and charge/discharge rates for laptops. Hard drive SMART data in Computer Management instead of needing 3rd party software.

sh4dow83

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
"Which will hopefully allow explorer.exe to have full support for file paths longer than 255 characters."

Hahaha, are you high?! ;)

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014

No. Deeply nested files/folders 255 characters in length is not hard to accomplish.

FCsean

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
I see that you're not an insider since for the past few weeks all insider updates were just bugfixes and very minor.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014

Oh. I mean the big update coming obviously.

FCsean

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014

If you're an insider you'd actually know that this is the anniversary update that will be released this august. No more new features would be released. RS1 = Anniversary update. New features will be coming around RS2. Build 14390 may be RTM build and if it is it'll be the same as 10586 on production build.

Trixanity

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
The anniversary update brings support for file paths longer than 255 characters.

However I must say this news post is baffling. The author gives the impression that the insider builds exist in a vacuum with no purpose. What does he think the point of them are? What does he think they're testing if not the actual big update?

Because the 14390 build is the anniversary update and since we're near release, the changes are smaller and only bug fixes.

I have to wonder what he thought of the pre-release Insider Windows 10 builds. Did he think that we were getting something wildly different at launch because the public beta testing was just to keep people occupied?

FCsean

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014

And we're getting voted down for correcting the author. Phew.

Fontelroy

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008

I agree completely.

"Although this build may not have much to offer, its lack of improvements likely stems from Microsoft’s work on the one-year anniversary update that is coming later this month."

This build is the culmination of the work on the one-year anniversary update that is coming later this month.

"Users interested in testing out new Windows 10 improvements should probably hold off until Microsoft makes the anniversary update available."

This shows a clear lack of understanding in how the insider builds work and if he knew what he was writing about he's essentially saying, "Users interested in testing out the new anniversary update should probably hold off until Microsoft makes the anniversary update available."

How did this make its way onto toms hardware as an actual story?

Find me one shred of evidence that this is the anniversary update. Whereas you are both claiming this to be the anniversary update, Microsoft stated that update wouldn't be pushed out to general users until August 2.
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/06/29/windows-10-anniversary-update-available-august-2/

Windows Insiders should have access to it towards the end of this month to test it beforehand, but this is not that update.

FCsean

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
First of all here's source who's more knowledgeable on details about Windows.
http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-build-14390-rolling-out-fast-ring-insiders-pc-and-phone
Notice where they say that the build might be RTM already.

Here's another one.
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-insider-build-14390-available-download-get-now

Do you even know how long it takes to beta test a build and to fix bugs? Do you think that they'll be able to release a new feature and have it really polished by August 2? Goes to show how much you know about being an insider or software development.

Windows Central is not a credible source. They are a competing publication. The bulk of that article was direct quotes from the exact same source we used, as linked above. His "sources" that say this may be the August 2 update was not backed up by anything. At this point, without any sort of statement from Microsoft to support it, it might just be his assumption.

Your second "source" said that RUMORS say this maybe the August 2 anniversary update. Again, there isn't a valid statement or press release from Microsoft or any of its representatives to support that build 14390 will be the August 2 update.

I am actually enrolled in the Windows Insider program. I tested several builds prior to the release of Windows 10. The last few Insider's builds that were made available for download prior to the official release of Windows 10 were up for just two weeks before Microsoft felt Windows 10 was ready to ship.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-build-10240,29600.html

If Microsoft needed less than 2 weeks to collect feedback from Insiders, finish Windows 10 and ship it to retailers around the world, why do you think it is going to take them an entire month to finish checking updates?

FCsean

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
You already said it, they released 10240 on insiders 2 weeks before official pushing it out. Did you see any new features during the 2 weeks of it being released? Also did you notice that 10240 was so unpolished compared to all the builds especially compared to 10586?

There's only around 2 weeks left before August 2 comes, do you think they'd be able to release a new feature to insiders and have it checked?

Also, don't you think that they'd follow the same release pattern where an almost finished build is prepared and released to insiders prior to official release. You say that 10240 was released 2 weeks before. There's only 16 days before August 2, why wouldn't they follow the same pattern that this is the RTM build?

Yes, it is extremely possible that they will release a new update between now and then. August 2 is going to be an update, not the release of an entirely new operating system. It shouldn't take as long to test as an entire operating system. So far, there isn't a pattern. They released one project build two weeks before the official release of the official OS. You cannot have a pattern when an event only happened once.

It is possible this is the anniversary update, but until Microsoft makes it official it is foolish to declare that it is.

erendofe

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
the sony add has to go!!! it starts up automatically off screen and you have to scroll down to it for it to stop. if you don't close it and just scroll back up it starts up again. the report ling is just a bogus feel good clickey with no actual function. I understand tom's had to pay the bills but yous may want to talk to the ad providers , of broker a deal with a new provider. otherwise great site

Trixanity

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Ok, let me clarify. This build may not be the actual final build but it is the anniversary update that is being tested by Insiders. It's an iterative process. It was the same thing during the launch of Windows 10. Testing for a long time with frequent new builds until launch where 10240 was chosen as the final build. There might be a few more builds before release but what Insiders are testing is the anniversary update. There is simply no doubt about it. Microsoft has adopted a strategy of large scale beta tests because it has proven successful. If what Insiders is testing isn't the anniversary update, then what the hell are they testing? Seems like a waste of time because no build has seen a public release.
Oh and they recently removed a feature or two due to not making it for the August 2nd deadline. I think Microsoft has been quite clear that they will be using Insiders to test upcoming updates including the major updates. They even used the Redstone moniker early on until it changed to Anniversary Update a short while back.

flashtro_

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
I don't know if you all noticed but in the 14390 update, references to eval etc have been removed from the desktop screen and it is listed as version 1607 release which will likely be the version of the Anniversary update. (Released in July 2016) and available August 2nd.

Fontelroy

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008

Again, "Although this build may not have much to offer, its lack of improvements likely stems from Microsoft’s work on the one-year anniversary update that is coming later this month." This statement clearly shows a lack of understanding since the build mentioned does, in fact, contain all of the features of the anniversary update that is coming later this month.

Whatever the current Insider build is contains all of the promised features of the upcoming anniversary update. They post these builds to test the new features of the anniversary update in a wider environment to see how it performs. This also allows microsoft to check for bugs at a much wider scale than would be possible with only internal testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.