[SOLVED] Windows installation not seeing drives

TBH

May 15, 2020
Hi all, first post here.
Built a new system and screwed up my RAID Array requiring me to re-install windows
Went from Intel to AMD so new Mobo RAID controller
System Specs:
*ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
*AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
*32GB DDR4-3200MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro Memory
MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8GB OC
2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue 7200RPM HDD (Using RAIDXpert2 in BIOS, in RAID 1)
*2x 1TB Western Digital Black SN750 NVMe M.2 SSD (Using RAIDXpert2 in BIOS, in RAID 0)
1x 500GB Mushkin Source SSD
750 Watt PSU
(* indicates new item)

Explaining the New Setup:
My old setup was the 500GB SSD(as the boot) and 3x 1TB WDBlue HDDs (In RAID 5, in 2 partitions(500GB & 1.5TB)).
I'm now wanting my 500GB SSD to stay the boot drive, drop a 1TB drive and make it RAID 1 for my video editing and crucial files. and the 2x M.2 drives in RAID 0 to keep my games and stuff I need quickly on.

Now the issue:
I've created the RAIDs and initialized the old 500GB SSD to clear the data. (The internet said to initialize it...Ill get to that later) All of the drives are showing up in the UEFI RAID utility (RAIDXpert2 the ASUS BIOS RAID array thing on B450 boards); however when trying to install windows from my Boot USB drive, after selecting the version of windows to install it asks me what drive I want to install it on. Only problem, there's only 4 drives and none of which should exist. In the setup window, it shows 2x nearly 1TB drives and 2x 12MB drives (looks like its maybe the two M.2 SSDs and their caches but all separated. Looking on the internet it said maybe the boot drive need to be initialized, did that same thing. Looking more, I tried downloading the B450 RAID drivers (https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450 ) and tried loading ALL 5 (NVMe and SATA) drivers and still nothing, the only thing that was successful is after loading the drivers the 4 drives that DID show up disappear.

The plea:
I cannot for the life of me figure out why the 500 GB SSD wont show up for me to install windows on it. The board is in RAID SATA mode, so do I need to somehow put the Boot drive in an array by itself? Can I just not install windows on this drive anymore? Any and all help would be AMAZING!

TLDR: Installed some new M.2s along with a new mobo, processor, and memory RAIDed them together but trying to keep my boot on an old SINGLE drive...I urge you to go read the full thing though, it has a lot more detail in it...

Solution
Intel raids do not transfer to AMD raids. I hope you did not initialize the array in the new Raid Bios. If you did I pray you have all this backed up.

As said, only have the drives you will boot from installed when you install Windows 10.

popatim

Titan
Intel raids do not transfer to AMD raids. I hope you did not initialize the array in the new Raid Bios. If you did I pray you have all this backed up.

As said, only have the drives you will boot from installed when you install Windows 10.

Solution