Question Windows installation on new system has not been working after extensive troubleshooting

ShipTheChipz

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Hello!

This is my 3rd build and the most frustrating by far. What is going on here is that I have a new system and it worked for 2 days seamlessly with having no problems loading everything and playing games. Randomly when I was on it playing a game it crashed and now hasent been the same since. I have tried wiping my drives and reinstalling windows but it may work for a few minutes post installation but then it goes back to rebooting itself and going into recovery.

I took the CPU back out to see if there were any issues there - none. CPU fan is connected and working. (system would not turn on without this anyways since cpu runs hot)

So my most recent thought was that my hard drive was bad (Intel SSD6 1tb) M.2 but I took it out completely and did a fesh install on the Firecuda ssd/hdd 2tb drive I have a secondary to see if it would work there. It would not.

I don't usually get blue screen error messages in this process but one I have seen more often then not was "DPC Watchdog Violation" where a lot of the troubleshooting is for people who can get into windows. I tried one troubleshooting tactic through the recovery command prompt I found but that did not work. I think that this means my m.2 drive is OK but still does not resolve my issue. I have checked power cords into the psu and into their components and they are good.

Like I said earlier this is my 3rd build and have been able to troubleshoot others in the past but this has got me bent over a barrel and I just feel lost. I have spent all of the past two days trying to figure it out and have come up empty. I have made a new USB windows drive from my other computer to do the most recent two attempts and that did not help either.

If anyone here can offer any suggestions and keep this thread going until I fix this problem I would be super grateful!!!!!!!!! I rarely post on this forum but I read a lot of what is here and you guys have great suggestions but I havent found any that have worked for my particular problem.

System specs.
CPU: i5-9600k
MB: Asus Prime z390-a
RAM - Gskill Trident 2x16gb
GPU - GTX 2070 Duke MSI
PSU: Corsair TX850M
Drives: Intel ssd6 1tb Firecuda hybrid ssd/hdd 2tb.

Please let me know if there is more information I can give or if you need anything else from me to get this process started!! You guys are awesome and I look forward to working with you all to get this resolved so I can get back to the good part of being a PC owner @_@

sniper7777777

Honorable
Sep 22, 2014
im not sure if you meant you had a specific drive that was failing but do you have a PCI-E expansion M.2 SSD card installed? and this might sound stupid but turn off any extra functions of your MOBO before installing O.S's i had to turn off built in WIFI functionality on my MOBO or else it would blue screen check your MOBO and see if there's a feature like that that needs to be turned off

Reactions: ShipTheChipz

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
following up on sniper's comment above, this is what worked for me, my build is about two weeks old and I had helluva time getting it going:

1. Disconnect every drive except the one you want to carry the OS and the flashdrive that has the OS (or DVD)
  2. Disconnect from the internet just prior to starting the install
  3. Systematically refuse any hookup to internet accounts that MS says will "improve your experience" -- go for a local build. So, for example, your admin login will have verifications like mother's maiden name and your first dog. It will NOT have a cell phone verification.
  4. Immediately upon installation do not do anything do not pass go just use MS Edge to get your drivers
  5. Once you have drivers and OS is working do a benchmark test or two (like userbenchmark) to make sure it's functioning. This is to make sure it's functioning before you waste time installing your favorite software
  6. If you pass a benchmark test, set a restore point for OS
  7. Do not use aftermarket AV programs "at least for a while." These cause shut down issues with version 1903 which is what you're getting if you're installing now. Many people claim these issues have been resolved. I am more skeptical. BSOD and shutdowns are among the symptoms.
  8. Do allow the updates to happen
  9. Set restore points every day or two until you are confident system is working
  10. Continue to refuse hookups to MS on line accounts and utilities, disconnect search bar from internet,

Reactions: ShipTheChipz

ShipTheChipz

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Ok, Thank you both for your replies.

So I walked down the steps that you presented gn842s where I uplugged my ethernet cable while installing onto the 1 drive I had connected (M.2) then I used the CDs I had to keep myself out of the internet and installed drivers for motherboard and for my graphics card.

This was working and I had restarted a few times to get those installed. I then connected my ethernet cable and went to asus's website to download updated driver for motherboard. which ran successfully.

I created a restore point here as I have had issues with NVIDIA drivers with this system previously.

I tried to install drivers to nvidia but it would not do it because my monitor was plugged into the MB. So I shut down my PC and swapped into the GPU. I then went into the BIOS and selected it to run on the PCI slot which detected my GPU.

This is where I had big issues. After saving and exiting the BIOS it tried to get to windows and failed. It would cycle the asus screen then pop on the login page for a second then go back to black and start over again after a minute or two. In that process, it also had a weird video occurrence where the screen had black boxes checkered through it while it was on the login page for a quick second before going to black.

Here is a video I took of it doing its flickering here.

View: https://youtu.be/RmvRkVhrRNw

I felt more confident that time around but not sure what this means now. Thank you again!

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well I think the procedure I outlined is getting you to a stable point and then something destabilizing happens with Nvidia. My suggestion is that you take this to the gpu forum where all they do is install gpus and are quite expert in them. So do what they say.

I infer from your presentation that you are downloading the drivers with the gpu not installed? (running video off mobo?) I wouldn't do it that way. I would have the gpu in place the whole time because Nvidia install might need to talk with it.

There is another thing you can do. Do nothing. Let the install of Win 10 do all its updates including providing its version of your drivers. Wait till all that updating is done. Then check it out. The drivers might not be so bad. So do a restore point with them in and see whether you can get in and out of UEFI (just drop in, look around, boot out to see if you can do it.) Do a Benchmark.

If you get through all that, THEN do the standard DDU uninstall (procedure is here on Tom's) and get your drivers from Nvidia. because supposedly they are better. edit: But maybe Nvidia drivers aren't better, if theirs crashes your PC and the ones from MS don't. The ones MS provides are typically developed with the OEM, so they may not be so far off what you need for good performance.

such is my thought,

Greg N

Last edited:

ShipTheChipz

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
stick with 1 thread
Hello. I have some threads on the system forum where I got some help on how to get my system to boot properly.

These are the steps I followed:
Disconnect every drive except the one you want to carry the OS and the flashdrive that has the OS (or DVD)
Disconnect from the internet just prior to starting the install
Systematically refuse any hookup to internet accounts that MS says will "improve your experience" -- go for a local build. So, for example, your admin login will have verifications like mother's maiden name and your first dog. It will NOT have a cell phone verification.
Immediately upon installation do not do anything do not pass go just use MS Edge to get your drivers
Once you have drivers and OS is working do a benchmark test or two (like userbenchmark) to make sure it's functioning. This is to make sure it's functioning before you waste time installing your favorite software
If you pass a benchmark test, set a restore point for OS

So I walked down the steps above where I uplugged my ethernet cable while installing onto the 1 drive I had connected (M.2) then I used the CDs I had to keep myself out of the internet and installed drivers for motherboard and for my graphics card.

This was working and I had restarted a few times to get those installed. I then connected my ethernet cable and went to asus's website to download updated driver for motherboard. which ran successfully.

I created a restore point here as I have had issues with NVIDIA drivers with this system previously.

I tried to install drivers to nvidia but it would not do it because my monitor was plugged into the MB. So I shut down my PC and swapped into the GPU. I then went into the BIOS and selected it to run on the PCI slot which detected my GPU.

This is where I had big issues. After saving and exiting the BIOS it tried to get to windows and failed. It would cycle the asus screen then pop on the login page for a second then go back to black and start over again after a minute or two. In that process, it also had a weird video occurrence where the screen had black boxes checkered through it while it was on the login page for a quick second before going to black.

Here is a video I took of it doing its flickering here.

View: https://youtu.be/RmvRkVhrRNw

Not sure what is cookin here but this is driving me nuts. (Get it driver problems ahhhhh /facepalm)

Anyway any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!