Windows Installers Inquiry

gladdin

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Im just curious as I'm a little confused... in terms of a fresh install via the Windows 10 installer -- can that only be done by installing to the same partition/os youre currently in? Are the only options usb,dvd, or install/upgrade over current os? Is this different than installers for previous iterations of Windows?

I ask because I remember being able to choose a different hard drive for install when i installed Windows 7. If thats the case (and you can only install via usb/dvd/overwrite/upgrade) why is that? Why isn' there an option to change the drive for installation?

I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

Solution
It's not really anything protective as you can use the creation tool to install on as many machines as you like but obviously you can only use one key for one machine, unlike previous versions of Windows. Its more to do with the way they partition disks and the fact the reinstallation files are already on the disk you have the OS on and it needs to stay intact to run the installation. Its just the way Windows 10 works

gladdin

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Youve basically answered it. If im not using bootable media then i cant use windows installer to install onto a different os (located on another hard drive) is what im trying to say? im pretty sure ive done thid with win 7 installer but perhaps im temembering incorrectly.

gladdin

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

Maybe not officially, I guess? I have to watch what I say, but I have a Windows 7 installer that actually allows me to change my install drive. It it the consensus that this isn't an option officially supported by Microsoft/there's no way to achieve this officially? Additionally, what is the reason for this? Thanks.

It's not really anything protective as you can use the creation tool to install on as many machines as you like but obviously you can only use one key for one machine, unlike previous versions of Windows. Its more to do with the way they partition disks and the fact the reinstallation files are already on the disk you have the OS on and it needs to stay intact to run the installation. Its just the way Windows 10 works

Solution