Windows installs, but hangs/BSOD when starting for first time.

agrillo87

Commendable
Apr 19, 2017
I put a better motherboard in my rig than my old. I installed a Biostar A880GZ Ver. 6.x.
Everything works, powers up, I load Windows Vista from usb formatted the HDD, when doing a clean oinstallation it goes through all the processes. Copies the files, expands the files, installs features, installs updates, completes installation. Reboots, after reboot it does the windows loading screen, then says please wait while windows sets up your computer. Then goes to a black screen with just the mouse on screen and sits, 10+ mins later it gives me a BSOD stop:0x000000f4 then restarts and says windows wasn't shut down properly to start windows anyways or safe mode etc. It does this everytime I start the computer. I tried starting in safe mode and it does the same thing.
I've got an amd phenom ii x4 955 125w processor.
Asus HD6770 DirectCU Silent graphics card.
8gb 1333mhz ddr3 ram.
Thought maybe it was hardware so I pulled out the graphics card and used the integrated VGA, still did it.
I flash USB updated my bios thinking maybe it was the bios and that didn't fix it either.
The biostar website says my PC is compatible with my ram, Vista OS, and processor. I assume it's not my graphics card either being that it most likely wouldn't work period or let me install Windows if it were an issue. I did notice when first running the PC before formatting and installing Windows when I selected the drive I wanted to install it had a caution symbol at the bottom left saying this drive may have compatibility issues. I formatted and installed anyways and here I am with issues.
My HDD is older, and my mobo is sata3 6gbs. And I'm pretty sure my HDD is sata2, being that it says it won't excess 300gs.
If my mobo is sata3 and my HDD is sata2 would this cause the issue?
I'm seeing a lot of info about sata being backwards compatible and it shouldn't cause an issue. I don't know what to do..

Someone please help me!

Solution
I've figured it out, it was an issue with my windows I had booting from USB. It would install, then restart to finish the process and that's when it would hang up. Had a hard time pulling from the USB a second time I'm unsure as to why but that's the issue. So I burned windows to a cd/dvd and then installed off that and it worked fine. I've used this USB in the past no clue why it's not wanting to fully install but that's what the issue was. Problem solved. I looked up the bsod codes and it didn't pin point anything but it looked more like software issues versus hardware, and that was it.

agrillo87

Commendable
Apr 19, 2017
I've figured it out, it was an issue with my windows I had booting from USB. It would install, then restart to finish the process and that's when it would hang up. Had a hard time pulling from the USB a second time I'm unsure as to why but that's the issue. So I burned windows to a cd/dvd and then installed off that and it worked fine. I've used this USB in the past no clue why it's not wanting to fully install but that's what the issue was. Problem solved. I looked up the bsod codes and it didn't pin point anything but it looked more like software issues versus hardware, and that was it.

Solution