Windows is not booting

DDoggart07

Commendable
May 6, 2016
I am using an Alienware 13, running BIOS A04, with a Liteonit 256 GB SSD.

When I turn on the computer it goes to a black screen which says:

"For Qualcomm Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.1.1.5 (03/15/13)

Check cable connection!
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

Reboot and Select proper Boot Device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

A little background of wha happened and what I've done so far:

While playing ARK: Evolve, it started to get very choppy, then the screen went black, showing only the cursor, which could move but nothing else responded. I forced it to shut off, and plugged in the external GPU, a GTX 970, figuring the game was just a bit much for the little gtx 870m that it has onboard. When I turned it back on, I received the above message, and continue to receive it now.

I ran the BIOS Diagnostic test, which did not find any problems with any of the hardware.
The HHD still shows up on the BIOS summary, but isn't an option in the boot priority list.

The boot option priorities are:
Boot Option #1: Windows Boot Manager
Boot Option #2: Onboard NIC (IPV4)
Boot Option #3: Onboard NIC (IPV6)

I'm hoping to find a fairly easy solution that isn't reformatting the HDD and losing everything on it.

Thanks for any help or ideas you all can provide!

Solution
windows boot manager matches the UEFI bios you have and the format of the drive. It doesn't need a specific drive name, it looks on all hdd for a specific file and it seems it can't find it, hence the error

do dell have hdd testing tools on their web site for your alienware?
If you didn't make any changes to the BIOS configuration, then that error message, coupled with your boot order, suggests that your OS is corrupt or your SSD can't be detected. Boot priority 1 is your OS, but if the SSD or the OS can't be detected, then the next item in the list will boot. In this case your IP4 NIC.

PXE booting is used for pushing disk images down from a server.

DDoggart07

Commendable
May 6, 2016
What is confusing to me is that the HDD is listed in the "Main" section of the BIOS setup, which makes me think that it is still detectable... but if that was the case, I would expect it show up in the Boot Options.

I suppose the next step I take is to just try and reformat it and reinstall Windows, I know I have a bootable Windows 10 USB lying around somewhere..

Colif

Win 11 Master
windows boot manager matches the UEFI bios you have and the format of the drive. It doesn't need a specific drive name, it looks on all hdd for a specific file and it seems it can't find it, hence the error

do dell have hdd testing tools on their web site for your alienware?

Solution