Question Windows is throttling my Ethernet connection

klr650r

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015
Windows is throttling my Ethernet connection...I just don't know how.

I've recently switched to gigabit ethernet with my ISP.
When I didn't get even close to the advertised speeds I called. They sent a technitian who tested my line before and after my modem. They test fine.

Speedtest were done with speedtest.net to my ISPs server.

I have a Win 10 Pro box with a Intel I219 - V card built into my Mobo.
I didn't think anything about it. Speed test would go higher than 160 - 180mbps download. I had an old

[Mod edit to remove profanity]

W7 box here I just tried for the hell of it it easily hit 460mbps consitently. All the latest drivers.

Running Speedguides TCP Optimizer I managed to get my windows to match the W7 box.
I started digging deeper.

cFosSpeed shows nothing significant hogging my bandwith.
The thing that intrigues me is that my taskmanager shows me exactly where my network utilisation stops consistently between 42 - 46 % It never ever goes any higher than that...coincidentally I'm getting 42 - 46 % of the advertised speeds from my connection.

Booted my Strelec WinPE, same deal.

I've tried a bunch of stuff but I know if I could let that network utilisation go uncapped I could get close to what I'm paying for in internet speed.

Anyone ever been able to fix the issue? Am I software limited like I think or is it a hardware issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

klr650r

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015
What speed does Windows report for your connection speed to the network?

Have you tried alternate ethernet cables and ports?

What anti-virus application are you using?

1Gbps

at least 3 different cables, but the ISP Technitian was using the one I’m using currently. He got a pretty consistent 980mbps throught the modem/router

no antivirus - I like to live dangerously. Also image my pc weekly

klr650r

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015
On the Win Pro Box try running the built in network troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Check the network adapter's speed & duplex settings. Set to Auto.

I tried that

it’s set to auto right now, but I’ve manually set it to 1gbps full duplex with no improvements.

kanewolf

Titan
Then boot to safe mode with networking. Try that. If that still has performance issues, then boot a Linux live CD. You can temporarily divorce your hardware from Windows.

Was this Windows install a clean install when the PC was built or is this a reused install from a previous build?

klr650r

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015
Ok so, I booted a live copy of linux...same speed almost seemed to be capped at 400mbps.

Ordered a dedicated NIC...low and behold connection up to 880mbps. Not as advertised but close enough for me.

So I’m thinking hardware is my limitation,
But I don’t know. Could it be windows mesures it’s network usage percentage by dividing current throughput by theatrical network card speed to get it’s figures.
That would explain my low network usage and percentages matching speed. EI 440mpbs averaged 44,6% network usage.

But again, why would my onboard i219-V which should be 1gbps card can’t even do half