Windows Keeps disconnecting and reconnecting USB devices/Hard Drives

Steve Evets

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
I've already disabled the USB option in windows power settings as suggested below, but after a couple days it started happening again, I cannot even copy documents between flash drives anymore without them disconnecting. This is a fresh install, ISO downloaded from digital river, all drivers up to date. I have no Idea how to fix it, please help.

KJK1908 said:

1. Scroll to the right and type 'Power Options' in the search field and click on it.
2. Click 'Change plan setting' on your chosen plan.
3. Click 'Change advanced power setting' on your chosen plan.
4. Find 'USB settings' and open.
5. Find 'USB selective suspend setting' and change it to disabled.

Chris K

Solution
I'm considering your south bridge - how is the airflow in your chassis? You can check the south bridge by putting the back of your slightly moistened finger (lick the back of your finger) against the heatsink while the computer is running, it should feel quite warm but not hot enough to burn your finger. If it feels too uncomfortable to leave your finger against it, you'll want to look into reducing the heat from it (increase airflow over it or replace thermal compound or...)

Steve Evets

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

motherboard: msi 970-a-g46
processor: amd phenom II 1045t
graphics: powercolor radeon 7850
memory: corsair cmx4gx3m1a1333c9 x 2
ssd: PNY Optima SSD7SC240GOPT-RB 240gb
power supply: evga 650w modular
case: rosewill gaming case (so many of them).

heat on processor and video card is always under 50c under load.

I'm considering your south bridge - how is the airflow in your chassis? You can check the south bridge by putting the back of your slightly moistened finger (lick the back of your finger) against the heatsink while the computer is running, it should feel quite warm but not hot enough to burn your finger. If it feels too uncomfortable to leave your finger against it, you'll want to look into reducing the heat from it (increase airflow over it or replace thermal compound or...)

Solution

B Tcs

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
I have a similar problem on my Asus Z97-A motherboard, but I have been able to narrow down the problem. Read on for something interesting...

1) For me, the problem is only with SOME USB 3.0 devices like Card readers and external harddrives (some multidtrive USB 3.0 readers do work, some HDs are temperamental about when they will work) - this is all very weird.
2) But the most weird thing is that the problem only occurs when I join my windows 8.1 pro pc to a domain, as soon as I take it off the domain, the problem goes away - this seems to imply that the domain group policies have something to do with it. But why then do some drives work on and off?

I tried the power options as described in the post (http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2335635/usb-drives-disconnected-reconnected-usb-work-great-usb.html)
and I have tried disabling XHCI as described in the post (http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1885037/windows-usb-devices-disconnect-reconnect-power-saving.html)

None of the above worked.

DopamineCircuit

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
I have this same problem, too. It happened when I first built my PC and again last week. I am fairly certain it's the RENESAS-USB3 drivers or whatever your particular board (Rasmedia USB 3.0, etc) supports. Last time I did a clean install I neglected to install the USB3.0 drivers and finally forgot what my one Unknown Hardware detection was...then installed the drivers...now it's happening again....

So finally while searching for this problem here this afternoon it all came back to me. Hahahaha.

I bet it's something like Windows pre10 not fully supporting USB3.0 properly just like back with Bluetooth and 95/98. *shrug*

TRENDING THREADS