[SOLVED] windows keeps reinstalling realtek(r) audio driver no matter what i do.

Kyris

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
So; I've been having audio issues with my computer, and I've come to the conclusion that it's a driver issue.

for all intents and purposes the computer seems to be getting audio, but no audio is actually coming out. troubleshooter finds nothing, the audio visualizer bar things go up as if audio is playing normally, everything seems fine except there's literally no audio from my devices that are plugged into 3.5mm jacks.

USB works. bluetooth works. 3.5mm does not. and I believe it's an issue with my realtek(r) audio driver.

I've tried installing realtek high definition drivers instead, but everytime i do and it asks me to restart, the realtek(r) audio driver is back and it just tries to reinstall the realtek high definition drivers again.

I've tried uninstalling them manually through the device manager. I've tried disabling windows auto-updates and disabling windows auto installing device drivers as seen here; https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10 but none of those solutions seem to work. it is absolutely impossible for me to get rid of these realtek(r) audio drivers.

Solution
There are different audio drivers for various windows 10 versions.
You can verify your windows version by runing winver utility.
Download and install appropriate audio driver version. Thre are 4 audio driver versions available (not 2).

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver

BTW - are you using corect audio jack?
Also check realtek audio driver options. For example line out might be assigned to mic instead.

2018100517584815_src.png
What motherboard? Integrated audio or discrete audio card?
Are you sure, you're installing correct drivers?

Are you using front panel 3.5mm audio jack? It may not be connected correctly.
Also audio may be going to hdmi or Display port connected monitor (not 3.5mm output).

Kyris

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
What motherboard? Integrated audio or discrete audio card?
Are you sure, you're installing correct drivers?

Are you using front panel 3.5mm audio jack? It may not be connected correctly.
Also audio may be going to hdmi or Display port connected monitor (not 3.5mm output).

gigabyte z390 elite, using the integrated audio.
I've tried installing both the drivers from the webpage for that motherboard, also tried ones directly from realtek with no dice either way.

I'm using the rear input 3.5mm jack, I've also tried the front case ones with no luck either.
I do have built in speakers in my hdmi monitor, yes. But I don't believe that's the issue since the monitor comes up as a seperate audio device under my sound settings, even when my speakers are selected as default there's no sound from them.

Download and install appropriate audio driver version. Thre are 4 audio driver versions available (not 2).

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver

Also check realtek audio driver options. For example line out might be assigned to mic instead.

2018100517584815_src.png

Solution

Kyris

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013

2018100517584815_src.png

im running windows 64 bit, update 2004. thats the driver i downloaded for. and yes. it is the correct audio jack, the line-out jack, on my MB it's the middle, bottom/right most jack(depending on case orientation).