Windows Lags When Opening Folders; 100% Disk Usage

audley2077

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
Hello Toms Hardware! I would just like to first thank everyone for reading this and to thank anyone in advance for answering.

Okay so I upgraded my computer at the end of last year and I bought Windows 10 and did a fresh install on a new SSD. I have three drives: one SSD for my OS, one SSD for games, and a 1TB HDD for storage. They are all hooked up properly using the right cables (SATA 6Gb/s). Up until about three months ago I was really enjoying Windows 10. However, all of sudden things started to slow down with Windows Explorer and the Start Screen.

Windows Explorer will halt for anywhere from 2 seconds to up to around 7 seconds while opening or moving folders. A quick look at Task Manager shows that my disk usage stays at 100% while it's halted. This happens on both my SSD's and my HDD. I once even had it halt for around 20 seconds while trying to move stuff around in the Start Menu.

It should not take up to 5 seconds to move a 100 kb file from one SSD to another. I just cannot figure out why this is happening. All drivers are up to date that I know of. I was hoping with the Windows 10 Anniversary update it would go away. But even after the update the problem actually got worse. Now I would say every 3 out of 5 times I open a folder it halts/lags/freezes.

I know this may not sound like the biggest issue, but it's incredibly annoying. Today I got so fed up I completely reinstalled Windows 10 from a USB and formatted all my drives. I now have a fresh Windows 10 install but the problem did not go away.

I honestly don't know why this is happening. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

i7 4790
GeForce GTX 970
16 GB DDR3
x2 SSD's
x1 HDD
1000 Watt PSU
Z97 PC Mate Motherboard
1920x1080 60 Hz
Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

Solution
Check the page on your motherboard manufacturer and hard drive manufacturers websites and see if there are any bios/driver updates.

Also run a program such as crystal mark to test you hard-drive speeds and post the results.

garretsw

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Check the page on your motherboard manufacturer and hard drive manufacturers websites and see if there are any bios/driver updates.

Also run a program such as crystal mark to test you hard-drive speeds and post the results.

Solution