Windows limits bandwith per session? How to disable?

likeuknowwhatever

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
I've long suspected that Windows(not just 10, but also older ones) has a limit of bandwidth for every session and now it's as good as confirmed.

I usually put the computer on hibernation instead of shutting it down completely, because I usually have many windows up that I don't want to shut down until I'm done. And whenever I've downloaded/uploaded tens of GBs(or perhaps 100+) without restarting, the connection has been lost. It happened with Windows 10, 8 and 7. With my current desktop and my previous laptops.

I have several computers in my household and I only lose the connection to the one I'm using, and it always happens while I'm downloading huge files.

I don't get the connection back until I restart the computer.

Any way to fix this?

Solution
Could be a bug in your network driver or router firmware or even. Cable modem firmware. You can do a local network transfer between machines to rule out the isp and cable modem. Update the network drivers, particularly if you use a wireless network driver error. If you use a usb wireless driver It also depends on the usb port driver which depends on the bios. So you have to pick up the motherboard usb driver updates, the cpu chipset updates and the bios updates. You can also look to update the router firmware version. All else fails you have to make a sniffer trace see what stops the network connection. Microsoft message analyzer is a free download and can do the sniffer Trace. I ha e even seen problems like this isolated to...
If anything is limiting your bandwidth it's likely your isp not windows. Especially since you suggested that it happens regardless of which version of windows you're using. If using a torrent service it could be that your isp is purposely bumping you offline either for using such a service in general or after a certain amount of time. Isp's have sniffers that can tell what sort of traffic you're connecting to and different isp's have different policies. Either that or you're losing connection to your router which may be why you're having to restart your pc.

likeuknowwhatever

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
Thanks for reply!

They could all have the same default settings when it comes to bandwidth, like they do a lot of other things.

It doesn't only happen when I'm torrenting.

It has also happened when I've been downloading LOTS, <REDACTED by Moderator>

I seriously doubt it's the ISP since my Swedish ISP is relaxed when it comes to torrenting and it resumes without any hassle when I've restarted and doesn't happen again until the computer has been on for several days again and I've accumulated 100gb+ download/upload size.

Losing connection to the router because of what? Reached limit?

The other devices connected to the router do not lose their connection.

Could be a bug in your network driver or router firmware or even. Cable modem firmware. You can do a local network transfer between machines to rule out the isp and cable modem. Update the network drivers, particularly if you use a wireless network driver error. If you use a usb wireless driver It also depends on the usb port driver which depends on the bios. So you have to pick up the motherboard usb driver updates, the cpu chipset updates and the bios updates. You can also look to update the router firmware version. All else fails you have to make a sniffer trace see what stops the network connection. Microsoft message analyzer is a free download and can do the sniffer Trace. I ha e even seen problems like this isolated to bugs in sata drivers when downloading large files.

Most of the time will be a bug in the network driver.

Solution