Windows Live Mail not responding

derbyststan

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
I have been trying to fix my Windows live mail not responding. Some forums say that removing Windows Update KB2454826 fixes it. But I can't find this particular update. I have 138 updates, and this one isn't on the list. Does anyone have another fix? E.g., another update that could be causing the same problem? I don't want to uninstall all 138 only to learn that I uninstalled a critical one.

benji720

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Try googling, downloading and installing the newest version of Windows Live Mail. I wouldn't worry too much about uninstalling updates; that's a fairly tedious process and I don't think it will solve much. You can also try uninstalling Windows Live altogether and then reinstalling it if my first suggestion doesn't solve your issue. System Restore is also possibly a viable option.

derbyststan

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012

Hi WR2,

No, I get an error message: Windows Live Mail could not be started. It may not be installed correctly. Make sure that your disk is not full, etc.

I should add that IE also freezes. However, IE opens and operates normally in Safe mode.

derbyststan

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012

Hi Benji720,

I downloaded what must be the most recent version, but I didn't get a prompt noting that I already had a version installed and do I want to replace it? As far as I know, I have two versions running now. But maybe that's the way with Microsoft.

Anyway, so far, so good. WinLive is working, but it feels a bit 'hesitant' in responding. Good news is that it hasn't frozen yet. Also, IE had been freezing too, and IE is now working properly. I'll be giving both of them hearty workouts in the next day or so and report back.

Thanks for the suggestion.

derbyststan

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Well, it didn't take long. Both IE and WinLive Mail have frozen again. Fortunately, I'm able to continue this chat with a 2nd computer. I've run MalWareBytes and AdAware and SpyBot, but nothing shows up as a problem. I think I'm ready for a Mac.

benji720

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Well, if both of your programs are freezing it stands to reason that you may be having an issue with your Windows install itself or with your hardware. Can you run a system restore and put the computer back to a time before you had these issues? Then, if you are still experiencing freezing you'll know that it's most likely a hardware issue.

Also, you should remember that Macs have the same number of problems as PCs, they just look nicer and cost more. Mac Mail has more issues than any other email client I've ever used. Windows Live Mail isn't spectacular but I would consider giving Firefox or Chrome (alternate browsers) and Thunderbird (alternate email client) a try. All of them are a step up from Microsoft's programs in reliability and usability in my book, and are free downloads as well.

Let me know if System Restore works and we can go from there.

derbyststan

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012

I appreciate your time on this. My computer is only 6 months old, but I tried system restore a few weeks ago to fix the problem. That obviously didn't work either, but I'll try it again. I've been using PCs since the early 90s and they have given me nothing but grief, although I admit: Outlook Express was perfect. Never a problem. Sadly, OE doesn't work with Win 7. My Mac friends keep asking me when I'm going to make the switch. This could be the time.

benji720

Honorable
May 24, 2012
The shop I own works on Macs and we have more clients with Mac problems with them than any other brand of computer. Just saying! Macs are not the end-all fix for your computer woes and Mac issues are typically harder to diagnose and much more expensive to fix.

This is a little extreme, but if none of this works you may want to try an OS reinstall. It's a little more in depth but would certainly tell you if your issue is OS-based or hardware-based.

derbyststan

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012

I took it to my local computer geek shop and that's what they are doing now (unless it's a hardware issue). I'll report back when I get the diagnosis.

derbyststan

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
The "good" news is that when he powered it up and tried to get online, it froze fairly quickly. So at least he's not going to have to waste time trying to replicate the problems.

derbyststan

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012

Well, the registry was missing a file and Win7 and Live Mail had to be reinstalled, along with all my other programs. Despite my anti-virus Avast and scrubs with Malwarebytes, ad aware and spybot, nothing had turned up. So...I'm starting over with a clean slate. Arghh what a waste of time. But thanks for your help.

geopis90

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Hi! I'd like to know if anyone knows what the value of this (registry) key is! I have the same problem and i suspect that Ccleaner deleted it from my system. If anyone knows please let me know! :)