Windows Live Mail won\'t send emails. Last week it did.

yorkie161

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
I recently arrived in Florida for the winter and my WLM will not send emails. The settings are correct since less than a week ago I was in Missouri and it was working fine. I can receive mail but not send.
Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: SMTP
Secure (SSL) No
Socket Error: 10060

Solution

I'm assuming that Missouri is home?
I'm also assuming that you have your outgoing server setup on port:25, and the server address is the one given you by your ISP (at home)

If that's the case then you are most likely running into a port block. Most (if not all) ISP's block port 25 traffic to all but their own mail servers as a SPAM prevention measure. When traveling it's simpler to use your provider's webmail interface to access your mail and save the...

yorkie161

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

I deleted all the old stuff - mail, sent and received but it still cannot access the server. No mail can be sent.

yorkie161

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Looked into this site and it was a bit complicated for me. I would be afraid to try some of the options for fear of doing something to further mess me up.

yorkie161

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

I thought I'd add that my husband and I travel with several pieces of technology. We both have laptops and both have tablets. None of them will send. I think that may be a better clue into the problem

I'm assuming that Missouri is home?
I'm also assuming that you have your outgoing server setup on port:25, and the server address is the one given you by your ISP (at home)

If that's the case then you are most likely running into a port block. Most (if not all) ISP's block port 25 traffic to all but their own mail servers as a SPAM prevention measure. When traveling it's simpler to use your provider's webmail interface to access your mail and save the local client until you get home. You can also try changing the outgoing port to 587 (may require a username/password when sending)

Solution

yorkie161

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Thanks for your help. I gave up trying to use my Windows Live Mail account and started using my Internet provider's on-line site. The mail program was terrible there so I set up a gmail account which will forward all my old WLM emails to the gmail account for 30 days. I've notified friends of the change in email address so I'm making do with what I have to work with.