Windows live mail

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AlPrentice

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
Having had windows live mail working satisfactorily for some time, I now find that I cannot open a new email or reply/forward to another. Each attempt is showing the message "a problem occurred while trying to open this message, please try again

Solution
All signs point to Comodo, but it is what it is. Thank you for sticking with this post this long. Persistence is key.

I have two more ideas, short of going blank slate which you probably will not want to undertake just for one misfit program.

Option 1: Perform a system restore. This is Windows equivalent to Time Machine found in Mac OSx. I do not know how frequent you programmed your restore points, but by default a restore point should be created after a major change to system is made. In your case, this will be the installing of Comodo or any other program you may have missed between the time WLM was working and not. Start with the nearest date you recall WLM working as it should. Do not worry all your documents, files, folders will...

taurus77

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
Hi, I am having exactly the same problem after windows update (assuming, very coincidental if not) can you tell me how where to use ctrl+shift+o.
Have windows7 with wlm11 and opera. Thanks.

GAJIT

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
From the Home screen in WLM, press and hold CTRL and Shift, then tap the o key.

Or, On the Home page in WLM, Click on the Drop Down Arrow to the left of the Home Tab and select options.

clayo

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015

Hi Alprentice, this problem is all over the internet. Computer experts all over the internet are giving well intended long winded solutions but they don't work! I had the same problem took me 2 days to find a solution. Follow the link and the problem is fixed. http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/ Hope this helps. Cheers Clayo

austen pinkerton

Reputable
May 4, 2015
Absolutely brilliant!!! I want to marry you and have your babies.
I had exactly this problem which appeared out of nowhere one day and has been driving me mad for days.
Just fixed it in 50 seconds.....
1 open live mail
2.'options'
3 'connection/s'
4 click 'stop signing in'
5 and again...'yes, stop signing in'
6 'apply, or 'close'

SORTED........Thankyou......Austen Pinkerton (U.K.)

By the way...screw windows and their bloody updates.

geo791

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
I just experienced the same exact problem with a client's laptop. I tried all of the remedies which I found in forums with no success either. Finally I discovered that if I created a new user account, WLM would then open. Apparently this is caused by a corrupt user profile. Everything else was working fine with the exception of WLM. After creating a new user account and copying all the folders from the old account over to the new account, WLM opened fine. You will have to reconfigure your settings in WLM to reconnect with your email server. Hope this helps others having this issue.

wdezeeuw

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
Dear fellow detectives, let me share you some information after my own Sherlock Holmes session with Windows Live Mail 2012 on Windows 7 yesterday.

At first I tried the repair/reinstall thing multiple times, it didn't work.

Then I thought, if I'm lucky the programmers might have built in some logging into the application, and it will leave some information traces in the eventlog or something, so I looked in eventvwr.exe, but alas, no information.

So I looked further for diagnostics, and there it was! Options -> Advanced tab -> Maintenance button, on the bottom there is a section "Trouble shooting". Lo and behold, you can check the "E-mail" checkbox. So now I try to reply to an e-mail again, same error message ofcourse. Then I opened the log file, which has thousands of lines of every little thing it does, and amongst that there I saw this section:

[23:57:44.18] 1e58 Mail: Zone_MailChk ERROR: (contenteditorfactorymanager.cpp:76), failed with 0x80131018
[23:57:44.18] 1e58 Mail: Zone_MailChk ERROR: (contenteditorfactorymanager.cpp:191), failed with 0x80131018
[23:57:44.18] 1e58 Mail: Zone_MailChk ERROR: (contenteditorfactorymanager.cpp:237), failed with 0x80131018
[23:57:44.18] 1e58 Mail: Zone_MailChk ERROR: (composehost.cpp:643), failed with 0x80131018
[23:57:44.18] 1e58 Mail: Zone_MailChk ERROR: (mehost.cpp:3840), failed with 0x80040104
[23:57:44.18] 1e58 Mail: Zone_MailChk ERROR: (note.cpp:3088), failed with 0x80131018

This looked very suspicious, looks like it can't fire up the "contenteditor", which I assume is the message edit window. This seemed like a good hint to finding the root cause and so I decide to dig deeper with this information.

Googling for error 0x80131018 didn't give me a very clear idea of the problem, but I did see some posts about failing to load .NET assemblies and NGEN. I had a hunch a failure to load a .NET assembly might actually be it. I vaguely remembered that it's possible to monitor the loading of .NET assemblies, including any failures of doing so. The tool is Fuslogvw.exe, so I fired it up, and chose some path to log into and pick some detailed level of logging. And voila, bingo!

*** Assembly Binder Log Entry (17-11-2015 @ 0:22:43) ***

The operation failed.
Bind result: hr = 0x80131018. No description available.

Assembly manager loaded from: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll
Running under executable C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe
--- A detailed error log follows.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: User = PC-51873942\Wout
LOG: DisplayName = System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Windows Live/Mail/
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
LOG: Dynamic Base = NULL
LOG: Cache Base = NULL
LOG: AppName = NULL
Calling assembly : WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor, Version=16.4.3528.331, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35.
===
LOG: This bind starts in LoadFrom load context.
WRN: Native image will not be probed in LoadFrom context. Native image will only be probed in default load context, like with Assembly.Load().
LOG: No application configuration file found.
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
WRN: Found match in cache, but cannot create assembly from the cache information.
ERR: Unrecoverable error occurred during pre-download check (hr = 0x80131018).

It failed to load the .NET 2.0 assembly System.dll when firing up the message editor. I figured the .NET assembly was ngen-ed (precompiled), and that the ngen native image was potentially broken. I didn't really manage to repair the ngen native image unfortunately, and I didn't have much faith in fixing this one assembly to solve everything (I already tried scanning and chkdsk for errors and that didn't help either, which should repair .NET corruptions, although they did find/recover some errors. I also tried the NetFxRepairTool with no results). So in my case I decided to reinstall my Windows, because I figured there might be a whole lot corrupted (while gaming my system black screened and did some odd stuff, and I think at that moment some things got messed up), and I rather spend a few hours reinstalling than days fixing the next little thing and the next. Reinstall worked ofcourse, there was also nothing wrong with the e-mail database as is suggested in some forums.

Conclusion: Windows Live Mail itself was not broken, the mail database was not broken, but the .NET 2.0 framework (or parts of it) were corrupt. What Microsoft could (and should) do is give the user a proper error message so he knows what is broken, and what to do to fix it. From googling it looks like there are thousands of people with this problem, and I can't believe that nobody at Microsoft bothered to get to the bottom of this. When seeing all these reports they could have easily improved there error message handling and they would have very soon found out about what the problem was.

For donations you can contact me. I will also accept a brand new Surface Book from Microsoft in return for handling their application support.

- Wout

Irish62

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

Hi,

I'm having the same issue. Earlier today my email worked fine. Now when I click to open an email it opens but the opened email is "behind" wwindows live mail but I can not access the opened email nor can I reply. Earlier today I was asked for my password to sign into WLM and I thought it odd but did it and my email started loading normally so I didn't think anything of it until now when I can't reply.

So...how do I ask WLM to Stop Signing in with a Windows Live ID?

Thanks in advance

socalmonk

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
I had the same problem, running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. After a Microsoft update, I could no longer reply, forward or create new mail messages in Live Mail 11, which I uninstalled and replaced with Live Mail 12. No dice. Oh, and Live Mail just closed when I tried, no error message. So I visited all the forums and did all the hokey pokey, still no luck. Then I looked at the updates I had gotten from Microsoft and saw that one of them was an ATI graphics driver. I uninstalled it and downloaded the driver for my specific computer from the manufacturer's support page. Installed it and the problem was gone.

socalmonk

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
This just happened to me, too. Running Windows 7 Pro 64bit. After a Microsoft update, I could no longer create a new mail message or reply or forward in Live Mail 12. I visited all the forums and did all the recommended hokey pokey. Then I looked at the updates. There was a graphics driver update from MS, and I have had problems in the past with MS driver updates, so I uninstalled the graphics driver, for my ATI Radeon 6750, and downloaded the driver from the computer manufacturer for my specific laptop and installed it. End of problem.