Windows loader spins 2 times before restarting after connecting new GPU (1080 TI) - mobo issue?

Apr 15, 2018
Hi there, I'm a bit stumped as to why windows will not load after attempting to install a new GPU. Everything works fine if I disconnect the new card and use the onboard graphics. The PC came with onboard intel graphics and I'm attempting to swap that out for a 1080 TI. When I boot it up the windows loading screen shows up and the loader spins approx. 2 times before it crashes and restarts.

So far I have done the following in the bios:
- switched the Primary Graphics Adapter to PCI Express and enabled everything to do with PCI support
- disabled the IGPU Multi-Monitor setting because I don't believe my mobo supports running multiple cards concurrently (could definitely be wrong about this, though)

The card seems to be working since it's connected via hdmi to the monitor and the windows loader does show up at least shortly. Both fans are spinning as well. The gpu is currently connected via pcie riser to the 1 full pci slot on the mobo, with power coming off the psu to the card itself (6+4 pin) and to the riser via a sata adapter (6 pin).

Below are some of the hardware details.

Any ideas/suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

mobo: ASRock B250M- HDV P1.50E
processor: Intel Core i5-7500 CPU @ 3.4GHz
ram: 16GB DDR4
psu: Thermaltake Toughpower XT Gold 1375 W
gpu: GTX 1080 TI

UPDATE
I've remove the riser from the setup and have seated the card directly in the mobo. Issue persists :-(

franklin33d

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
Sounds like it could be something as simple as reinstalling windows sounds like its not recognizing the new card have you got a spare drive you can plug in and try and install windows to?

Honestly sounds more software based

Apr 15, 2018

Yeah, I've got a spare drive to try that. I assume this means disconnecting the the 1080 and using the onboard graphics for the install since windows crashes even in recovery mode with it connected.

Apr 15, 2018

It is new as in I haven't used it before purchasing this card, but I have read that these things are a frequent source of frustration.

Any PCI-e riser that requires any external power connector already indicates that it is of poor quality.

Take the motherboard outside of the computer case and assemble the components (i.e. breadboard testing) without the PCI-e riser. If the graphics card works fine without the PCI-e riser then you know exactly what's causing your problem.

Apr 15, 2018

Thanks, ko888. Just did exactly this. Well, sort of. I got rid of the metal braces in the case that prevented me from installing the card directly in the first place. Unfortunately, the result was the same. Seems like the riser, though of poor quality, is working. I'm now following franklin33d's suggestion and reinstalling windows.

Apr 15, 2018

Trying the windows reset now after connecting the card directly to the mobo. I've got a Thermaltake Toughpower XT Gold 1375 W psu in there. Should be plenty of power for one gpu ;-)

Apr 15, 2018

Looks like a 6+4 to me...

QZ2UtqK.jpg

Which card do you have? I have the EVGA 1080 Ti FTW 3 Hybrid which needs two available 8-pin or 6+2pin PCI-E supplemental power cables. It appears you only have an 8 pin and a 6 pin. Any available 4 pin cables from the PSU would be for the motherboard(CPU) which needs a 2x4 or an 8 pin EPS power cable. There are flat, white 4 pin cables but those are old school.

The basic Nvidia 1080 Ti only needs One 6-pin, One 8-pin Supplementary Power Connectors. My card is higher end so it's probably fine but it'sworth noting.

Apr 15, 2018

I can't even get to the "Choose an option 1.Continue 2. Troubleshoot 3. Turn off PC" screen. I had another mobo laying around, so I took everything apart and put it back together using a Asus Z170-AR and a Intel G4400 processor. Same situation...

Well that's not good news. Have you tried troubleshooting with a different discrete graphics card? The problem seems to be following that GeForce GTX 1080 Ti card.