Question Windows loads to a blank screen after motherboard swap.

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Hi all,

Just swapped my motherboard and CPU to I9 9900K. Had it booted up and fully functioning whilst on my desk and played around with the AORUS app centre program.

Turned it all off to put the pannels back on and put the case under my desk, connected all my usual cables and pressed the power button. Mobo logo shows up, windows logo with spinning dots for about 10 seconds then screen goes black/blank. (monitor still lit up, just literally black).

Cant seem to get past this stage. Tried troubleshooting startup issues multiple times, always comes back with nothing. Tried restoring to various points prior to mobo change, just ends up rebooting to the black screen again.

I can start the OS in safe mode but if I try and do a clean boot I get the same black screen.

Any ideas on what I could try as I really don't want to be reinstalling windows.

Thanks

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
So I bit the bullet and 'reset' the system choosing to keep personal files. My storage system consists of a 1TB SSD c drive with OS and game files on and a 2tb HDD with doccuments/photos/etc.

The reset seemed to be going fine then the system rebooted aaaaand black screen. Left it for a while with no signs of life at all so tried rebooting and the windows logo only flashes up for half a second now before giving no output to monitor.

Im in the process of creating an install usb to do a fresh install of windows 10 on the SSD as Id only lose game files.

My graphics card is pretty new and have been using it without issue for a few weeks so don't think thats the issue but if I still keep getting issues I'll try swapping it out for an older one.

Past this I can only think whether the mobo or CPU is broken someway?

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
I was just half way through installing windows 10, specifically on the section asking about onedrive access, and the screen went blank again with seemingly no response to key presses.

Starting to think this is a hardware issue.

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Did some more troubleshooting this morning with the view that a clean windows install must mean a hardware issue.

Removed ram sticks and swapped GPU (1080ti) back to my old one (1070) and the system booted up correctly. Reinstalled ram with no problems, it was the GPU causing issues.

To fix this I have tried:
DDU reinstall of graphics drivers
Change cables from power supply
Test 1080Ti in different PCIE slots on mobo
Test 1080Ti in different computer all together

When I tried the 1080ti in the other computer it worked normally as far as I can tell which would point to a mobo issue, but then the 1070 works fine??? The 1080ti shows in device manager when booted in safe mode so its clearly being detected?

The only other thing I can think of is the PSU is giving up but that worked flawlessly for a few weeks with the 1080ti installed.

Is it possible the mobo can only work with the 1070 and breaks with the 1080ti??

On a side note, im not seeing any output from the HDMI port on my mobo with my 9900k...

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Hi all,

Recently swapped my I7 7700k/Z270F for a I9-9900K/Z390 Aorus Master.

Found that the system wouldnt get past windows loading screen so reinstalled windows and still had the same issue.

Through a bunch of troubleshooting narrowed it down to the GPU. When I put an older 1070 in my PC it works but with my 1080Ti (working with old mobo/cpu) it fails to load again.

Tried the 1080ti in friends computer and it works fine. We both have 850W EVGA PSU's and i've tried different cables to the GPU.

I've tried a full graphics driver uninstall using DDU in safe mode and still not working.

So up to this point:

Tested RAM and it's working
Motherboard working because 1070 works with it?
1080Ti previously worked with old mobo/cpu AND works in friends PC
Have identical PSU's which have been working up until this point.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Motherboard was used so could be damaged but surely it wouldn't work with the 1070 if it was?

Do a clean install of the nvidia drivers for your card and os while in safe mode.
Download directly from the nvidia site.
Check that you are not trying to install the mobile driver version.

Safe mode works with only a minimal set of drivers, indicating you have a driver issue.
Perhaps you downloaded a faulty DDU app.
It really is not necessary.

To see proper output from the mobo graphics, you need to install the Intel graphics drivers.
Again, download directly from Intel.

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Do a clean install of the nvidia drivers for your card and os while in safe mode.
Download directly from the nvidia site.
Check that you are not trying to install the mobile driver version.

Safe mode works with only a minimal set of drivers, indicating you have a driver issue.
Perhaps you downloaded a faulty DDU app.
It really is not necessary.

To see proper output from the mobo graphics, you need to install the Intel graphics drivers.
Again, download directly from Intel.

Did a clean install of the nvidia drivers multiple times sadly and re-downloaded them multiple times to be sure.

Just tried installing the intel graphics drivers using the driver & support assistant and got an error saying operating system not supported :??:

Tried installing them using the gigabyte tool which ended up causing an instant BSOD after the motherboard splash screen and resulting in me having to reinstall windows...

Unfortunately I don't have time to be messing around with drivers at the moment so I'll have to leave it as it is for now and come back to it in a few weeks when I have more time.

I suspect you're right in that it's a driver issue so I'll do some reading up on that area in the meantime.

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
So bit of a thread revive. I've now had a chance to do some extensive trouble shooting and here are my findings:
  1. Tried uninstalling drivers in safe mode using DDU and reinstalling in normal mode. Screen would go black as soon as the driver install finished and wouldn't come back (waited hours)
  2. Tried above but installing drivers in safe mode. Drivers appear to install correctly, 1080ti showing in device managed. Upon restart to normal mode, black screen again.
From this I can only assume the drivers are not the issue.
Narrows it down to a hardware issue so tried:
  1. Reseating card multiple times
  2. Tried in multiple PCI slots (no effect)
  3. RAM is fine
  4. Tried 1080ti in friends PC and no issues (didnt even need to manually install driver)
  5. Friend's PC has identical power supply so tried swapping power supplies between computers. Mine worked on his with the 1080ti installed while his power supply attached to my PC still gives black screen
  6. Both power supplies are 850W
From this I can only assume that the GPU is fine as it works on his PC, the power supply is functional as it both produced the same issues and gpu seating isnt an issue. That leaves:
  1. PSU not high enough power - 850W should really be enough
  2. Dodgy motherboard
So I'm going on the idea that the mobo which I bought used is the issue. I'll be getting a replacement to confirm.

It just strikes me as odd that the 1070 works in the exact same PCI slot on the motherboard. Surely if the mobo was dodgy then the 1070 wouldn't work?? Anyone had similar experiences?

One difference I can see is that a 1080ti requires an added 6 pin power connector.
Possibly the higher power required is impacted by faulty delivery of power to the pcie slot.
As it is a used motherboard, that is a prime suspect.
If friend has a 1080ti or stronger to test in your pc then we might know more.

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
One difference I can see is that a 1080ti requires an added 6 pin power connector.
Possibly the higher power required is impacted by faulty delivery of power to the pcie slot.
As it is a used motherboard, that is a prime suspect.
If friend has a 1080ti or stronger to test in your pc then we might know more.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a stronger card.

I forgot to add on the previous post the actual PSU to GPU cables I've swapped out plenty of times so if it's a power issue it must be on the motherboard tracks...

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
I tried my pc with a brand new motherboard this morning and unfortunately getting exactly the same symptoms.

So that rules out a faulty motherboard really. Leaves me with a dodgy 1080ti card or a PSU issue.

As I said before, I'm running an EVGA 850w G2 psu and have tried two individual ones as a friend had the same model. Both gave the same symptoms.

It occurred to me to check the basics of whether 850w is enough for both an I9 and the 1080ti and the calculators say it is but only by less than 100w or so. I'm wondering whether a higher wattage PSU might solve the issue?

I cant see how the 1080ti could be faulty if it worked in a seperate system.

This is starting to become a very expensive debugging attempt.

May 25, 2020
That's really unfortunate to hear. I believe I had the exact same problem you're experiencing with my EVGA GTX 1070 FTW card that was a year past its warranty. I had thought it was a motherboard fault or compatibility issue between mobo and gpu but after buying both a new mobo and PSU (to rule that out), the GPU that worked on my old build, but not the new setup is the culprit. Even though the gpu worked until I swapped it into new pc, there seemed to be some sort of power regulation on the gpu that went to fault. EVGA never told me exactly what was wrong with my card, but after calling customer support, they were able to set up an RMA for my 1070, and replaced it with a 1070 TI that booted up first try. Probably a faulty GPU at this point.