windows log in not showing up

bak3sy

Honorable
Jun 27, 2014
so for the past couple of years ive been using a 768p tv as my main display, but i recently bought a benq xl2720t. ive now got them both hooked up with the benq set to display 1 and the tv as screen 2. But when i turn my computer on it shows the bios screen on the benq and wont display windows log in. how can i go about fixing this problem? thanks in advance

Does the TV display the login? After logging on, do both displays work right? An easy fix might be to just enable auto login, but that won't help if you have multiple users.

As for the screens displaying differently on bootup, from what I've run in to personally and read online, its not an uncommon issue. The video card has a set priority of which ports output in which order. My GTX 980 seems to output the BIOS on DVI first, and then give me Windows on my Displayport monitor. I've seen other people with Nvidia cards with HDMI as their cards priority. Some motherboards have a Windows 8/8.1/10 mode that makes the board bypass the cards defaults and instead go off of Windows settings, so that may be worth a shot. Also you could try flipping the cables around and see whats booting to what screen first.

Not the best suggestions I realize but this has been a problem with multi monitor setups and Nvidia for a while now. Don't know if AMD runs in to the same issues.

*Edit. So looked around a bit more and from what I can see, in general display priority goes VGA, DVI, then HDMI on cards with no Display Port. With Displayport on a card I'm not sure if HDMI or Displayport would get priority.

bak3sy

Honorable
Jun 27, 2014

once i turn the computer on. the bios boots on the monitor but neither monitor or tv display the windows log in. i cant swap the cables because the tv only supports hdmi and the gtx 970 only has 1 hdmi output. to get my pc to boot properly i have to unplug the displayport cable to my monitor, wait for windows log in to show up on the tv then plug the displayport back in where windows log in then shows up on the monitor and i can log in. i could try auto log in, id rather not but i guess if theres no other options i dont really have a choice unless i want to deal with my current solution.

It sounds like HDMi is getting priority over Displayport. If your not running any a very high rez monitor you could just switch to DVI and never notice the difference. Tho anything over 2560x1600 you'd need the Displayport.

Display properties aside, it should be give you the Windows login on the BenQ if thats setup as the primary display. Have you looked in the Nvidia Control panel and confirmed that its setup that way?

bak3sy

Honorable
Jun 27, 2014

yes i have. i removed the tv from the setup because the displayport was not receiving a signal. now that i have the hdmi plugged in im still not receiving a singal