• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Windows login screen will not recognise keyboard input (cannot type password)

Jun 29, 2020
Hi,
I am having an issue with Windows 10 at the login screen. This problem has never occurred before. Replacing the keyboard/usb ports did nothing and both keyboards and all usb ports recognise the Caps Lock/num keys when switched on/off at the login screen and will allow typing on the troubleshooting page. On screen keyboard is also not accepted and as such I am unable to type in the password to log into windows. Any ideas?

Tried filter keys option by holding the right shift key down for several seconds. Did not solve.

Thanks in advance,
Gav

misar

Prominent
Sep 25, 2018
Did you make sure filter keys is turned off? It has a known bug. You can use the mouse to click the accessibility icon at bottom right of logon screen and check from there.

Jun 30, 2020
Hi,
I am having an issue with Windows 10 at the login screen. This problem has never occurred before. Replacing the keyboard/usb ports did nothing and both keyboards and all usb ports recognise the Caps Lock/num keys when switched on/off at the login screen and will allow typing on the troubleshooting page. On screen keyboard is also not accepted and as such I am unable to type in the password to log into windows. Any ideas?

Tried filter keys option by holding the right shift key down for several seconds. Did not solve.

Thanks in advance,
Gav
One of the option for old BIOS - check if the USB Keyboard Support or Legacy Keyboard Support is turned on.

ASK THE COMMUNITY