Question Windows Memory Diag to Tell If Slot is Bad?

Joe Doe

Honorable
Jan 18, 2017
I built a system that keeps crashing.

If it has all eight RAM DIMMs installed, the Windows Memory Diagnostic detects hardware errors.

However, I did the Windows Memory Diagnostic on each stick, one by one, in the primary slot, and they all passed. I then ran the test again, adding another stick per the motherboard manual on which slots to use, and each time I added a stick and ran the test, it passed.

Until I came to the last stick and the last slot (B2) and then it failed.

Does that mean that slot is bad? Or can you not count on that to determine that slot is bad?

CPU = Intel Core i9-9820X Skylake 3.3 GHz LGA 2066
Motherboard = ASUS Prime X299-Deluxe II LGA 2066 ATX Intel
Memory = CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 128GB (8 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300)
GPU = NVIDIA Titan RTX Dual-Fan 24GB GDDR6 PCIe Video Card
PSU = Corsair AX1200i 1200 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply
OS Drive = Corsair Force Series 2TB SSD 3D TLC NAND MP600 M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe Internal Solid State
OS = Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Nice system you've got there. ;)
Have you run Memtest86?

What voltages are you running at? I've seen issues like this before where the memory controller or the RAM itself (or both) needed just a little bit more voltage when running all eight slots. Small steps are the key - step, test, step, test, etc.

Joe Doe

Honorable
Jan 18, 2017
Thanks alceryes,

No, I haven't ever used Memtest86 and from the look of an Test Results Screenshot, I'm not sure if I'd know how to interpret the test.

If the problem is what you suspect, would the next step be to try and increase the voltage? (have never really done that either, though I know it's likely done in the BIOS).