Windows Module Installer + Windows Update is broken and I am losing my mind!

Nov 9, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I have been using a PC I built with Windows 10 installed for about 3 years now. I have run into some issues that are making me lose my mind and rendering my PC unusable at times.

My build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Spcjr/saved/z9MCJx

The issues that I am experiencing are:
-Windows Module Installer and Windows Update both load up my CPU with 25%+
-Whenever I see them active in my task manager they load up my CPU and then eventually freeze my computer, forcing me to restart. This happens very frequently.

I have scoured the internet looking for fixes and so far have done the following:
-disabling both WMI and WU in the services menu
-Changing the scheduling for both to only be once a week and at 2AM. This has not changed a thing
-Completely reformatted my PC
-Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter 10+ times.
A note on this one: Some of the time the troubleshooter will tell me it has resolved a potential DB error and that it repaired some of the Windows Update components. It will then start downloading and updating only to break immediately. The most recent time I took a note down and it gave me error code: (0x80073712). The advice to fix that error code is to use the Windows update troubleshooter...

My computer is freezing all of the time and it is driving me bananas. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Nov 9, 2018

Thanks for responding! Would this be a reformat install or can I download it apply it as a patch/update?