Windows not recognising Seagate NAS Drive

Beltane_Son

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
I have just bought a Seagate 4TB Desktop HDD, although the description on ebay said it was NAS. I found elsewhere on this forum that an NAS can run as an internal drive. I connect up and windows installed the drivers for the drive, but I cannot find the drive in My Computer which is running 7, 64Bit. I have rebooted pc and still not showings. All my other drive...USB and Internal. Do I have to have a NAS storage device?

Solution
You have to format the drive before you can use it.
To do so, do the following:
1. Open Disk Management by clicking the Start button and then type diskmgmt.msc in the search box, press enter.
2. List of disks will show up. Locate your new drive. It will be listed as RAW.
3. Right click on it, choose format.
4. Choose volume label, select NTFS filesystem, check quick format. Press ok.
5. After a few seconds your drive will be formated and available for use in My Computer.

If your disk is listed as unallocated space you have to create a simple volume first.

Bejusek

Distinguished
You have to format the drive before you can use it.
To do so, do the following:
1. Open Disk Management by clicking the Start button and then type diskmgmt.msc in the search box, press enter.
2. List of disks will show up. Locate your new drive. It will be listed as RAW.
3. Right click on it, choose format.
4. Choose volume label, select NTFS filesystem, check quick format. Press ok.
5. After a few seconds your drive will be formated and available for use in My Computer.

If your disk is listed as unallocated space you have to create a simple volume first.

Solution

Beltane_Son

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
Thank you for your response. ;) The disk manager wasn't showing the drive, I presume because it was not formatted. However...it was in the bottom half which was showing up as Disk 1. Didn't say anything about RAW, and right clicking didn't come up with anything about formatting like it shows on all the other drives. However...it did come up with something with 2 options...one of the GPT?....i chose the other one, and now i have the drive with a partition...2048.00 and 1678.02 ...both unallocated. Right clicking on the 1678 only had Properties and help thats selectale. The 2048 now has an extra New Simple Volume? I assume thats creating yet another partition? Clicking over on the left where is has basic info about the drive...it has an extra Convert to GPT disk or Offline. I wasn't going to put an O/S on this drive...just want to use it for file storage just like the externals (which were just plugnplay), so does it really need a partition?

Bejusek

Distinguished
Sorry for not being precise enough. Yes, you need a partition to use the drive.
You should have initialized this disk as GPT drive.
Now you have to remove any volumes that got created on this drive (right click -> delete volume) and then right click on Disk1 and choose convert to GPT. Then create one large (4TB) partition over the entire drive (right click -> new simple volume).

Beltane_Son

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
That was much better. I now have my new 4tb drive showing in my computer. One day they might actually bring out drives which are actually the size stated on the box that is what you actually get...ie...4Tb and not 3.63!lol. Thank you Bejusek...you have been most helpful! :bounce: