Question Windows not seeing HDD after graphics card install

Jul 18, 2019
Hi all

I just installed a graphics card. When I boot up, it sits on the motherboard splash screen for ages and then finally boots up. But Windows is not seeing my second and third 2TB HDD's anymore. Not is it seeing my M.2 drive.
When I check the BIOS, they're showing up in there, although it's showing both 2TB drives are 4.1GB in size. Weird.

Any ideas?

Here's the BIOS screen of the apparent size of my 2TB drive
https://ibb.co/pRKf338

Thanks

Jul 18, 2019
ASROCK Z97 OC formula
Intel i5 4670K
16GB Mushkin Black-line RAM
1000W PSU
Zotac GTX 980 AMP edition GPU
480GB SSD (OS drive)
X2 2TB Seagate HDD's
24GB M.2 SSD (Page file)

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019
So 2 days later everything is now ok. I didn't touch a thing. I just turned it on as I normally do (4th time since the occurrence) and all the drives are back as normal. Weirdest thing ever

Jul 18, 2019
Ok so I was just playing a game which is installed on my D drive. Half way through it crashes. The drive disappeared. The other drives are showing up ok. But this one drive has gone.

The only thing I did with any of the modular PSU cables was to plug in an extra 6 pin into my new GPU, so that it now has x2 6 pin power connectors.

I think I need to open it all back up again and recheck all the power cables. I did this before on the HDD side, but not the PSU side.

Never seen this problem before though in all my years working in IT

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019
Now after another reboot none of the drives are being detected apart from my OS drive and my USB backup drive.
It's not even seeing my M.2 drive which I use for my page file drive

Jul 18, 2019
My motherboard has 2 BIOS's. When I updated one years ago it ruined my RAID and I wasn't able to see the drives. So I switched back to the original BIOS. So I know there's an update. I'm not using RAID anymore so I'll switch back to the updated BIOS and see how it goes. Thanks