Windows not working on new system - making a bootable usb hardrive

pecker

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Hi all

I recently upgraded my CPU, PSU, Motherboard and Ram. I kept my original dvd drive and hard drive. I have an issue when trying to start windows, it shows a blue screen for half a second and then restarts again. I have tried to use the repair tool but it doesn't work.

The person in this link had the same problem :

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/330383-13-built-computer-load-windows

and someone mentioned that you have to do a clean install as my hard drive was so old and the motherboard is so new. What I am going to do is use an external hard drive I have and make it bootable so that I can place windows files on there as I do not have the windows disk.

My question is, once I have booted it from the external drive can I install the windows from the external hard drive onto my old hard drive so that I can unplug the external one after I have finished?

Hope this all makes sense

Thanks

Solution
U can make usb boot to install new windows, as long u had the installation disk, just copy everything Included hidden & system file to USB disk, and setup to boot from USB first. Has done it with my old Pc with broken optical drive..........

edit : u do not even need external hdd, usb flash disk can do the job quite well..... (some external enclosure cannot be detected in bios)

rdc85

Honorable
U can make usb boot to install new windows, as long u had the installation disk, just copy everything Included hidden & system file to USB disk, and setup to boot from USB first. Has done it with my old Pc with broken optical drive..........

edit : u do not even need external hdd, usb flash disk can do the job quite well..... (some external enclosure cannot be detected in bios)

Solution

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
It's exceptional foolish to use a USB flash drive as a boot drive as I presume you're using USB 2.0, most flash drives are 8MB/S write speed and 15MB read speed, compare that to 80MB/s write 120MB/s of a an actual HDD drive. So your computer will take a very very long time to load.

Frankly if you go through with this, enjoy your damn slow computer.