Windows not Working Properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiegoBoricua

Distinguished
May 13, 2013
Ever since the release of Windows 10, I've frequently experienced Windows crashing, not letting me shut off through the Start menu, and then after that nothing opens and nothing closes. These crashes have forced me to continually shut the computer off manually with the power button. I've also experienced many blue screens with errors such as BAD_POOL_HEADER, DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION, and others. It's occurring on an Acer V Nitro BE. I just read an article (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/28/windows_10_update_nvidia_driver_conflict/) stating that windows updates are conflicting with NVIDIA updates, causing the crashes.
Please let me know if that indeed is the problem or if it's something else. Also, please let me know if you know how it could be resolved.

Thank you,
Diego González

Solution
ignore the article.

do the following:
change your memory dump type to kernel memory dump:
https://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/111474.aspx
reboot.
start cmd.exe as an admin then run the following command
verifier.exe /standard /all
reboot your system
wait for the next bugcheck, windows verifier will check for bad device drivers and name the bad drive on the next bugcheck.
copy the memory dump to a server an post a link so it can be looked at with a windows debugger.
the file should be at c:\windows\memory.dmp

you could also use automated tools to look at the memory dump google whocrashed.exe or bluescreenview.exe
Note: after done testing run cmd.exe as an admin then run
verifier.exe /reset
or your system will run...
ignore the article.

do the following:
change your memory dump type to kernel memory dump:
https://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/111474.aspx
reboot.
start cmd.exe as an admin then run the following command
verifier.exe /standard /all
reboot your system
wait for the next bugcheck, windows verifier will check for bad device drivers and name the bad drive on the next bugcheck.
copy the memory dump to a server an post a link so it can be looked at with a windows debugger.
the file should be at c:\windows\memory.dmp

you could also use automated tools to look at the memory dump google whocrashed.exe or bluescreenview.exe
Note: after done testing run cmd.exe as an admin then run
verifier.exe /reset
or your system will run slowly until you do.
(you may have to boot into safe mode and run the command if your system bugchecks early in the boot process)

both of the bugchecks you mention would require a kernel memory dump to debug them.
most common cause for a watchdog violation is actually a USB device failing its PLUG and Play install over and over.
the BAD POOL header generally is a driver corrupting data in memory belonging to another device driver. Most common source for this is 3rd party device drivers like USBCharger device drivers that charge apple devices on a PC. But it is very hard to tell without looking at the kernel memory dump.

As to NVIDIA updates where do you think microsoft gets the nvidia drivers.... from nvidia. Nvidia gives microsoft a striped down version that requires a system reboot to install. Their version does not require a reboot. The problem comes in when you install the windows update version and the nvidia direct down load version without rebooting first.
Later when you reboot your system the queued windows update version is installed but they only install the core driver. This can result in a mismatched set of drivers installed. I would assume that nvidia should check the queue of drivers waiting for a reboot to be installed and look for their own driver. To be safe I always reboot my machine before and after running the nvidia GPU setup. It is not fun working on a machine with a black video. Anyway, these are unrelated to the problem you are having.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.