Windows NT Dev Lead Dave Cutler Now Working on Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The more they push away from gaming, the less i care about the xbox.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
i wonder how much he makes i know a standard level developer makes $250K for Google he should be getting well over $500K. Since he's been with them for ever.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I don't like the direction MS is taking with the next xbox. My PC can do everything + gaming. Can't they just create a miniITX system with custom Windows just for gaming + simple multimedia stuff. Make the same games compatible with regular PCs where user can do more tweaking..

If there's no PS4, what happens to all the games I bought on PSN? I'm sure Sony is not that stupid.

G

Windows NT made me switch to Windows from the Amiga since win95, 98 and Millenium it were all unprofessional versions and example no working OpenGL. The funny thing XBOX is now DirectX since it's the property of Microsoft :)

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]Shin-san[/nom]The x64 build of Windows came out incredibly fast considering AMD's release date.[/citation] XP 64 bit was a great OS, but driver support for 64 bit was a bit spotty due to manufacturers who milked the 64 bit transition to sell new hardware or in other cases got lazy and opted to bypass support for XP64 entirely due to the smaller niche user base.

It was actually a more secure OS though because it was 64 bit and had more of niche user base so hackers targeted it less with malicious code and performance thanks to 64 bit was better and really stable to me at least.

Azimuth01

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
I have to wonder what a near-retirement-age server programmer knows about making games and game systems fun.

Will we all need to know sql to use our XB720 as a media server?

I hope he's taking orders from some 23 year old right out of collage who still has an idea what gamers want.

Azimuth01

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
I have to wonder what a near-retirement-age server programmer knows about making games and game systems fun.

Will we all need to know sql to use our XB720 as a media server?

I hope he's taking orders from some 23 year old right out of collage who still has an idea what gamers want.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]knowom[/nom]XP 64 bit was a great OS, but driver support for 64 bit was a bit spotty due to manufacturers who milked the 64 bit transition to sell new hardware or in other cases got lazy and opted to bypass support for XP64 entirely due to the smaller niche user base.It was actually a more secure OS though because it was 64 bit and had more of niche user base so hackers targeted it less with malicious code and performance thanks to 64 bit was better and really stable to me at least.[/citation]
I am actually still using XP x64 on one of my comps, it is stable and quick, and all my hardware has drivers.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
I don't mind that they want to make it a media platform, but I hate how my xbox has become and adbox. I love the thing to death and I'm not some crazy, "OMG BOYCOTT!" fanatic who's gonna stop playing the game I love because of it, but WHY THE HELL ARE THE AD BOXES BIGGER THAN THE "PLAY GAME" BOX? Seriously. That is NOT O.K.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hmm with Cutler working on xbox, time might be right to aquire a console for the first time in ... ever.
He's possibly the most qualified personality within Microsoft's system after Bill Gates stopped. Or maybe that's the Mark fellow from sysinternals ... but either way, he's brilliant.

G

You're thinking of Mark Russinovich, also a Technical Fellow at Microsoft and the Winternals co-founder, later known as sysinternals. Yup, they're both brilliant. Regarding Cutler, the book "Showstoppers", about the development of NT, is a great read.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]SharePointGeek[/nom]You're thinking of Mark Russinovich, also a Technical Fellow at Microsoft and the Winternals co-founder, later known as sysinternals. Yup, they're both brilliant. Regarding Cutler, the book "Showstoppers", about the development of NT, is a great read.[/citation]

Ye that one. But I couldn't spell the last name, and was too lazy to google it

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]I don't mind that they want to make it a media platform, but I hate how my xbox has become and adbox. I love the thing to death and I'm not some crazy, "OMG BOYCOTT!" fanatic who's gonna stop playing the game I love because of it, but WHY THE HELL ARE THE AD BOXES BIGGER THAN THE "PLAY GAME" BOX? Seriously. That is NOT O.K.[/citation]

It is not fanatical or crazy at all to protest, it is common sense. You don't like something, so what do you do about it to show that you don't like it? Apparently nothing. The only way to get change is to take a hard stance. Anything else is just lazy, and shows you don't really care.

Status
Not open for further replies.