Windows NT Workstation BIOS Update

mark

Is it possible to make a change to the BIOS of a Windows NT
4.0 workstation without physically touching the PC? We
need to make a change and were wondering if it is possible
to automate the process - i.e. with a batch file or
something similar.

Thanks!

It depends on the bios update program- back in the day you
had to do it from a boot floppy, now they are doing it
with "regular" executable programs files.
IMHO, a bios update is a pretty radical thing to do with
only the user attending it.

We need to activate/enable the Wake on LAN capabilities on
approx. 2,000 PCs. I'd LOVE to avoid sneaker-net if at all
possible. Is this even possible, or is it a pipe dream?
How would a "regular" executable be used? (yes, it's all
new to me.)

Thanks again!

It depends on the computers and on the system management
software available for that system.

Some systems - typically only those made by first tier OEMs -
allow remote BIOS management. You can't do things like
update the BIOS, but you can certainly do minor things like
toggling the state of W-O-L.

If your 2000 PCs are all reasonably modern IBMs or HPs or Compaqs,
then you have a fighting chance and you should do a little research
into your particular systems. Perhaps talk to your service rep at
that company. With second tier vendors like Dell its pretty iffy.

> How would a "regular" executable be used? (yes, it's all
> new to me.)

Irrelevant for you. You do *NOT* need a BIOS update - you
merely need to change a setting in the existing BIOS.