Windows.old folder question after auto-update

Terawatt311

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
After an auto-update, my new Windows10 PC is like completely blank, as if it was a blank slate or reset. All my old settings/programs/downloads/apps/etc are now under a file called Windows.old.

I'd like to go back to the way things were, how do I go about doing this? How do I have windows load all my old files?

Not sure how to ask what I want....basically under the C: drive the Windows folder is empty of my stuff, but it's still on my SSD via the Windows.old folder.

I don't mind posting my PC specs if necessary. Thanks in advance for your time and effort!

EDIT: I received some advice on how to ask my question better:

It seems like after the update, my user profile didn't get updated. Basically, C:\Users\MYNAME is void of all my stuff. BUT it IS located and all there under C:\Windows.old\Users\MYNAME. I just want Windows 10 to start with my user profile and after the update it isn't. Can I just replace my current User folder with my old one and restart my PC?

Solution
Try a system restore to a point prior to when the issue began or when the update took place.

To answer your question at the end:
The username/account is necessary to bind he files and folder that particular user uses. As a security feature only the user with the designated credentials will be allowed to log on and utilize/edit the files.

You could try and replace the files but if the OS borks after that then all is pointing towards a clean install of Windows 10.

Lutfij

Titan
Try a system restore to a point prior to when the issue began or when the update took place.

To answer your question at the end:
The username/account is necessary to bind he files and folder that particular user uses. As a security feature only the user with the designated credentials will be allowed to log on and utilize/edit the files.

You could try and replace the files but if the OS borks after that then all is pointing towards a clean install of Windows 10.

Solution