Windows on non raid 0 HDD, and applications on Raid 0 storage still benefit?

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Hey,

I'm curious to see if there's a benefit to having my windows on a single SSD, while having applications on a raid 0 or 5 SSD combo. I want windows to be a on a non raid platform because I don't want to increase failure rate for actually running my computer, and in case the raid 0 fails I can at least still use my computer to reconfigure everything around.

Seeing as programs get loaded into RAM, and also cache on hard drive would I still see a performance boost even with windows running off a single ssd?

For example, Autocad loading or games loading?

Thank you in advance

Don't run SSDs in RAID. Nobody recommends that and for good reason. While you do get increased sequential throuput, you also add latency. And it's not sequential throuput that determines a good computing experience but random access speed. To simplify, you will see no benefit from raidong SSDs in autocad or games loading.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Ok then I'll just make them spanned. I thought maybe it would help maybe even in games like open World games where the HDD load matters:) I wish i could choose both your answers but I'm going to go with USAFRet because of source.

USAFRet

Titan

I wouldn't even bother with 'spanned'.
Just individual drives.

I have 4 SSD's in my main PC. No spanning involved. Just individual drive letters.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007

I chose to span them just so I have all files, documents and running projects on one hdd partition because I don't want to manage project pathways especially when working on a big project (Unreal 4 engine project for example), I'll be backing them up to cloud anyway.