Question Windows only booting from M.2 drive via Boot Manager after cloning Windows from SSD ?

Sep 2, 2021
Hi,
I used Macruim Reflect to clone my SATA SSD to a new M2. drive so I could use the M.2 as my windows boot drive. I’ve changed the order in my bios so that the M.2 is the first drive to load. I wiped and reformatted the SSD for data storage. When I booted up with the old SSD plugged in, the booting sequence got stuck at the mainboard screen without having the option to go into BIOS or Booting manager and then I repeatedly ended up at a Windows recovery screen, stating my PC could not be started properly (see in pictures below). Windows 10 booted up normally the first two times when the old SSD (completely wiped and reformatted for data storage) was not plugged in. The third time, I got the recovery screen again. The fourth time worked without problems, fifth time as well.

When I booted up with the old SSD plugged in again, the booting sequence got stuck at the mainboard screen without having the option to go into BIOS or Booting manager. After hard resetting with the button on the case, it booted normally to the M.2 drive. The next restart I got stuck at the mainboard screen thrice (initial restart from Windows and the two consecutive hard resets. The next hard reset got me to the recovery screen again.

Here is my system:
Mainboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 Max
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500X, 6x 3.60GHz
Storage: Western Digital SN550 1TB

Images of recovery screen and BIOS:
View: https://imgur.com/a/9Rmy8dY

Images of data disk management:
View: https://imgur.com/a/y2t53XR

Do you have any ideas what I can do to fix the issue?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Last edited:
error code you gettin is corrupt/damaged/missing system files or incorrect/damaged SAM (security account manager)

before you start, make sure only your windows drive is plugged in, unplug every other drive

if that boot error pops up, press F1 for recovery enviroment, if it doesnt pops up and windows will try to boot, reboot it during windows loading, repeat reboot 3times so it takes you to recovery enviroment
once there -> Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options, try here startup repair
if it wont fix it, then use command line from same advanced options menu
once you get to commandline, type this:
diskpart
sel disk 0
list vol

here take note of that EFI volume number
sel vol X (replace X with EFI volume number)
assign letter=Z:
exit
cd /d Z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
bootrec /FixBoot
del BCD
bcdboot c:\Windows /l
en-us /s C: All

letters are not case sensitive, so you can type all letters small or big, no diff
en-us can be replaced with another country code, if english isnt to you likin, list of country codes is here
Z drive letter (with efi partition) can be removed from disk management inside windows

USAFRet

Titan
I used Macruim Reflect to clone my SATA SSD to a new M2. drive so I could use the M.2 as my windows boot drive. I’ve changed the order in my bios so that the M.2 is the first drive to load. I wiped and reformatted the SSD for data storage.
The first action to take when the clone process finishes is NOT to simply change the BIOS boot order, but instead to physically disconnect the old drives, and allow the system to boot from only the NEW drive.

And you really really should not wipe the old drive until the system is verified fully functional on the new drive by itself.

Sep 2, 2021
error code you gettin is corrupt/damaged/missing system files or incorrect/damaged SAM (security account manager)

before you start, make sure only your windows drive is plugged in, unplug every other drive

if that boot error pops up, press F1 for recovery enviroment, if it doesnt pops up and windows will try to boot, reboot it during windows loading, repeat reboot 3times so it takes you to recovery enviroment
diskpart
sel disk 0
list vol

assign letter=Z:
exit
bootrec /FixBoot
del BCD

letters are not case sensitive, so you can type all letters small or big, no diff
en-us can be replaced with another country code, if english isnt to you likin, list of country codes is here
Z drive letter (with efi partition) can be removed from disk management inside windows
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll try that tomorrow evening, since I'm not home until then. Will get back here in case of any questions.

USAFRet

Titan
For future reference:

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Sep 2, 2021

diskpart
sel disk 0
list vol

assign letter=Z:
exit
bootrec /FixBoot
del BCD

So, I'm not getting into the recovery environment when I hit F1. Same thing happens with 3 reboots. Instead my PC is rebooting again and I'm ending up again at the error screen or it's booting normally (which only happens occassionally). The M.2 drive is the only hard drive plugged in. Is there any way for me to get to recovery environment in another way to try your suggestion?

Also, would using a different mainboard make any difference? I'm looking to upgrade to a new mainboard and CPU anyway.

Thanks for your help!