Windows Phone 7, Silverlight is Business-Ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think this news is just Microsoft hype. Windows Phone 7 is not business ready. It won't be released for another 9 months. It will be rushed to market unfinished. It won't even be able to copy and paste. The platform is a toy for social networking teens. The platform that is gaining fastest in the enterprise is Android.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
My company uses C# .Net and Silverlight, and we can't wait to port our current apps to the the Windows Phone 7 - security permitting of course.

mauskau

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I was excited about Windows Phone 7 until I read that they made the same stupid mistake that iPhone did early on. No copy and paste. I waited to get an iPhone until it could do copy and paste. Without copy and paste, I would never buy a Windows Phone, regardless of any other features. Hell, knowing Microsoft they will probably completely "zune" up this release and it won't even be able to play flash either.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Silverlight on Mobile is not the deciding factor for me. My company has decided to hold off any WP7 development until SQLCe, ADO.NET Sync, and some GPS/GIS tools get ported. Until then, its tools down.

[citation][nom]Ken Moore[/nom]I think this news is just Microsoft hype. Windows Phone 7 is not business ready. It won't be released for another 9 months. It will be rushed to market unfinished. It won't even be able to copy and paste. The platform is a toy for social networking teens. The platform that is gaining fastest in the enterprise is Android.[/citation]

Funny how people like you embraced and praised the iPhone OS for being completely business ready from the beginning, yet the iPhone OS still has more limitation than the WP7 OS.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]My company uses C# .Net and Silverlight, and we can't wait to port our current apps to the the Windows Phone 7 - security permitting of course.[/citation]

security permitting exactly... with so many aspects of a .net app out of your control, there is not much you can do but sit and hope that MS has implemented the OS, .net and all the APIs properly... I would be worried. just another reason why I prefer native to managed. with the main reason being compatibility between platforms. and performance.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Rooted Android phone... best of the best, in my opinion.
Had iPhone ( my wife's) and WM6.5 (not any phone, but HTC HD2)... still could not match it.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Funny how people like you embraced and praised the iPhone OS for being completely business ready from the beginning, yet the iPhone OS still has more limitation than the WP7 OS.[/citation]

There is only one phone that is 'Business Ready' and it's the Blackberry.
The Android has potential, but I haven't done enough delving into Google's layer cake API to know much.

I think that WinMo7 will have potential to interface with many popular business staples (Dynamics, Sharepoint, Exchange, etc.). It's real competition in the business sector is going to be the Blackberry, which is king in several areas (most notably the level of user managment the BES offers).

I'll reserve my opinions for when I can see a finished product or rather, when I get our cellular rep to send me one to test (when they are testing them).

More importantly, I don't see the iPhone being a business phone. Maybe if all you need a phone for is checking e-mails, but then, is that really a business phone or an excuse to buy a high dollar smart phone?

G

No side loading of applications (only load through the Microsoft App Marketplace),..... how is it business ready if I can't load my business apps?

G

By dropping .NETCF and SQLCE, it is a useless platform for us. We have invested a lot in the development of our Windows Mobile 5/6 platform application. Now it is useless and not even an option to port to Silverlight. We can't make strategic decisions based on what might come out in the future, so our only option is to go to a different platform. Business users were really the only ones that found Windows Mobile useful, and now they abandoned them. Frankly as a consumer, if I wanted an iPhone like device I'd buy an iPhone. Far more apps and experience. As a business user, its not worth considering, so where is their market??

wp7dev

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
I think that Windows Phone 7 Silverlight is Business-Ready.
Really Microsoft is engaging with extending the development community. Instead of developing applications there are also some people that are making components for Windows Phone 7. One example is FluentComponents with their ProComponents for Windows Phone 7:
http://www.fluentcomponents.com/
They also have some interesting concept and very cool posts like this for the iPhone for Wp7:
http://blog.fluentcomponents.com/post/Building-an-animated-iPhone-like-panel-with-drag-and-drop-in-one-minute.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.