Windows Phone 8.1 Introduces Intelligent Assistant Cortana

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Congratulations Microsoft. You have now caught up to where Android and iOS were 2 years ago. You've successfully copied most of the features of those platforms while innovating nothing on your own. Great job. Good to see Microsoft still doing what it does best.

TechieNewbie

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
Congratulations Microsoft. You have now caught up to where Android and iOS were 2 years ago. You've successfully copied most of the features of those platforms while innovating nothing on your own. Great job. Good to see Microsoft still doing what it does best.
As an owner of a Windows phone all I have to say is, hooray!

alextheblue

Distinguished
You act like all these features debuted on Android or iOS. Silly troll, where were you when they were ripping off Palm or WinCE? I used Swype on a WinMo device long before anyone with an Android phone showed off the "innovation".

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

So what about all the other features they ripped from Google? How about how Cortana is essentially a Google Now clone. Or how about pull down notifications? Name one thing Windows Phone has innovated... It really is sad that a company can exist for so long thanks to monopoly power when it offers no innovation whatsoever and is frequently 2 years behind the competition in almost every aspect. I hear they are handing out those licenses for free now lol.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
So what about all the other features they ripped from Google? How about how Cortana is essentially a Google Now clone. Or how about pull down notifications? Name one thing Windows Phone has innovated... It really is sad that a company can exist for so long thanks to monopoly power when it offers no innovation whatsoever and is frequently 2 years behind the competition in almost every aspect. I hear they are handing out those licenses for free now lol.
As long as everyone ismaking business, it doesn't matter, whether it is copied or not. These guys wanna make money, and also make competition. I don't care at all. All I care is a money well spent. ;)

Aoyagi

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
So much for the "big" update. I've had a WP8 device for over 10 months and I've actively used it for most of that period. There are many things I consider a downside of varying importance (some of which are a result of the extremely closed design) and the only thing they fix is a VPN client and that's to unknown extent. WP8 is a toy more than anything.

nikolajj

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Is does not have to be a new thing to be better! Pretty much nothing you know about is original. The trick is to do it better, and this is where MS shines. They might not be first out, but they offer refined, polished products. Personaly, I prefer 'done right' over 'done first'.ps1.: I have not tried WP8.1, but own a WP8 phone, and its amazing!ps2.: Microsoft WAS the first to make a tablet, not your "Innovative" Apple. But no one cared back then (bad timing on MS's part), and it was not the first tablet like thing back then either.

JohnUSA

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
Microsoft: Your new update is still BAD.I will not touch any version of your horrible, irritating and abysmal Windows 8.I will keep using Windows 7 and wait till Windows 9 is released.Windows 9 better be just perfect and not have any of the bad features that you stupidly included in Windows 8.If Windows 9 fails too then I will give up completely on Windows and migrate to Linux.Microsoft.... you are one dumb and stupid company. Shame on you.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Microsoft needs to copy the concept of folders so their mobile OS can have organizing skills. Not all apps are Live Tiles and having the ability to create a Games Folder, Home Automation, or any other folder will reduce the scrolling to find the less used apps. Right now the best way is to type the name of the apps because if you have many apps installed it is more frustrating to scroll through an enormous list.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Microsoft needs to copy the concept of folders so their mobile OS can have organizing skills. Not all apps are Live Tiles and having the ability to create a Games Folder, Home Automation, or any other folder will reduce the scrolling to find the less used apps. Right now the best way is to type the name of the apps because if you have many apps installed it is more frustrating to scroll through an enormous list.
You can already create "tile folders" if you have a Lumia. It's in the Nokia app collection.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
There is an 'App Folder' app... Works fine.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Better marketing would be to have Daniel Bloom asking Cortana voice acted by Jen Taylor for stuff would put a commercial in a whole new realm of awesome.

You act like Google is innovative when in reality they haven't innovated anything since their search engine. Most everything they have come out with has been done before or was created by someone else. It just happens that sometimes they tend to make it better.

For example, originally Android was supposed to compete with Blackberry and Windows Phone but when the iPhone came out and was successful, it was changed to be more of a all consumer OS. It is still a crappy OS. My Galaxy S4 is starting to show issues with it and probably needs a FDR which is annoying.

Another example, that endless image search Google now has? And how it doesn't just open the image when clicked but rather a new windows? Yea, Bing had that before Google did.

Nothing is truly innovative. No one company innovated everything not matter how large or how long they have been around.

As for WP 8.1, all I can say is that it gives a similar experience as Windows tablets and 8.1 desktops do and I can say for sure that in the future it may get even closer together while Apple and Google both will be behind.

Not to be mean or trying to offend you, but did you even read the article? This is not for Windows 8.1. This is for Windows Phone 8.1. Not quite the same.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

There is very little that Windows Phone or Microsoft does better than anyone else other than have a large library of applications for their desktop OS. Through a monopoly on the desktop and office suite market, they continue to force people into paying stupid sums of money for proprietary solutions simply on the basis of the need for compatibility.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Jim, sometimes I wonder how much Microsoft pays you. What you just accused Google of doing is exactly what Microsoft has built its entire business around. Even if all Google had was its search engine, it would still be more than anything Microsoft has ever came up with on its own. Conveniently you have completely ignored the cloud computing revolution.

Microsoft's silly idea of making all of their operating systems converge is irrelevant because the cloud is already doing that. All operating systems are going to be a portal to the web and nothing more in short order. Even Microsoft knows that now. Nadella knows that. Why do you think they are developing web based versions for all of their products? Google is already 3 years ahead in this area while Microsoft is still trying to get developers make native Windows apps so they can try to compete with the iPad lol. Google is leading a revolution while Microsoft wanders around aimlessly. Hopefully Nadella can change that for them.

No offence, but your thinking is that of an old breed IT dinosaur that can't stand to see Windows go because it's what you know. Open your eyes man.

Wish I was paid by someone.

My point is you are acting like Google is innocent when in reality they are the same. They did innovate with their search engine, but beyond that they have done nothing more than buy IPs or utilize what is already done and try to make it their own/better.

And I do prefer Windows in a IT environment not because it is all I know but rather because in terms of security and working it is better than most. I have seen ways to remotely control things that you cannot do in other OSes or in other ways. Ways to make changes to IE that cannot be done with other browsers.

So yes, I prefer Windows. But it is only because there is still not quite anything else like it out there that works together so well.

I am open to change but only if they offer equal to or better support and abilities.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Anybody noticed how accurate the phone was when he was trying to make a skype call ? after the phone asks for the contact, the phone is listening to him and actually writes at the bottom of the screen exactly what he`s saying, yet it didn`t knew what to do with that skpye call :D .

And damnnnn this Windows phone is snappy, it drives circles around my galaxy S3 with Android 4.3 ...

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
What a shock... Come into a thread on MS and JD88 is in it initiating snarky comments about MS and lauding how wonderful Google is... It's like bloody clockwork.

JD, you are the *last* person who should be accusing anyone of being a paid company man on this website. You and Jimmy are, ironically, practically inverses of each other, each one jumping headfirst into MS/Google threads to espouse the many virtues of the respective corporate giants and slagging into the others. The biggest difference is, I see Jimmy in Google threads *far* more rarely than I see you barging into MS threads. If you really want to rag on Jimmy for this, reading both of your posts, you should be aware that you seem every bit as "on message" as he does, being a consistent Google white knight. Heck, our first interaction was you criticizing the Surface line for things that you find *perfectly* acceptable in Chromebooks when they were even worse in the same area (app/program support), waving a double standard high for everyone to see, and I couldn't help but wonder "who's paying this guy?" If you really want to throw that stone as if it's bad to look like you're paid by a company you support, you should know, your single minded dogged determination to make sure everyone knows how bad MS is and how great Google is really paints you as the archetypal paid poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.