Windows Phone 8.1 May Support 10" Screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikolai Allen

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
There is not one article I've ever read on Toms Hardware that didn't have at least a paragraph talking about the lack of apps on Windows Phone. I mean come on guys, this article really didn't even call for that.

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007

Ever heard of iOS? You know, that OS that supports 4", 8", and 10" screens?

mrmez

Splendid
I didn't realise that, even though I have both an iphone and ipad.

So "Windows Phone" is both a physical phone and an OS?

I thought the whole point of the RT tablets was that it runs W8, and not some dumbed down mobile OS. So of course the best thing to do is ANOTHER u turn and dumb it down to a phone level.

In other words, don't buy anything from M$ because they can't make up their minds are could easily discontinue anything at a moments notice.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
To all the dummies saying this means a 10" phone, this is putting the Windows Phone OS on a 10" device - does NOT mean it will be a phone. I suppose if iOS goes on a 9.7" screen it's a big iPhone and not an iPad? That's the same dumb logic you are trying to apply.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I would like to point out that 10" screen is not a useful measurement (ever hear of 10ft interface?). Rather devs look at pixels and pixel density (and this is how Android handles it). And as I recall MS promised consistent and automatic screen adjustment for applications across a huge range of sizes back in the 90s. It didn't happen then and I doubt it'll happen now.

socalboomer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
"Typically users navigate away from an app by pressing the Start button, and then open a new app, just like iPhone owners. Users also don't seem to realize that by repeatedly hitting the back button, they're "stacking" apps. Thus the source claims that Microsoft now believes the Back button just doesn't make sense."

Really? Not that there are a lot of us out there, but this isn't accurate.

First, the back button is how you close applications and repeatedly hitting the back button doesn't stack apps; it's how you close a stack of apps. . .

Second, it is by hitting the start button and opening a new app - THAT is how you stack apps, just like with the iPhone.

Third, the back button doesn't make sense. MS should do two things - 1. make a method to close the app that is its own method - swipe down from the top (like in W8) or something. 2. keep the back button (really handy in a LOT of apps) but make it consistently "go back" instead of "sometimes go back and sometimes exit the program" which I know frustrates me and my wife.

LOVE WP8 aside from that and the lack of apps. I really do - smooth, integrated, easy. . .

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
A tablet somewhere around 8" running Windows Phone OS would probably be a hit. It wouldn't need the massive amount of storage that RT or 8 need, and would be fast on low power ARM chips. I think this is a good idea as it's virtually impossible to take advantage of the desktop at smaller screen sizes anyway as I think 10" is about the smallest I would go.

mrmez

Splendid

Hence my legitimate question.

Windows Phone is indeed both a phone and an OS.
Confusing for a number of reasons.

-People not following Windows mobile efforts can easily think W Phone is a phone. Duh. "Hey guys, here's a great idea, lets call our new OS "Windows Phone", that way everybody will automatically KNOW it's an OS, and not a phone!!!"

M$ slams Apple's dumbed down iOS, touting their W8 OS as far superior. Then they turn around and say they may put a PHONE OS on their tablets anyway. Again. WTF? Make up your mind.

Now I agree that if Windows Phone OS was like iOS It would be great on a tablet. An iPad is insanely easy to use and I can easily get 8 hours battery life watching videos, great for long flights. As a marketing graduate, the name is just a bad idea.

groberts116

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
If MS were to make Windows Phone 8 available for 10 inch screens I would think that a bad idea. However Windows Phone 8.1 is a to be a much improved OS capable of true multi-tasking among other new features. It's very likely Windows Phone 8.1 will replace Windows RT, which makes will make 8.1 a very useful tablet OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS