Question Windows Possibly Causing Mouse issues

grinmore

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
Hello everyone, thanks in advance for your help.

PC SPEC:
MOBO: z270x-gaming 7
CPU: I7 7700k 4.2Ghz
GPU: Asus Strix 1070
PSU: Corsair 750w
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200

I am making this post in order to possibly get a little enlightenment on an issue that I've had for a very long time.

I am one of those that have had a "Mouse issue" where the mouse doesn't feel responsive or "Snappy" much like many other people I've done the following steps:

-Disabled mouse accel via windows and MarkC

-Completely wiping the OS and reinstalling (Win 10)

-Replacing ALL components and peripherals (Several mice, currently using Zowie EC1B)

-Changed several settings within BIOS and the OS itself

-ensured all temperatures are optimal under load

as well as several other methods and steps I've taken over years that I cannot remember at the moment.

In the last couple weeks I've reset windows 10 with fresh install, and I noticed the mouse felt as responsive as it should be atleast in game. Now the issue is that after doing the fresh install and installing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE (except for GPU DRIVERS); just rolling with a fresh install and jumping straight into game things were fine. Problems start occurring AFTER I restart for whatever reason being: GPU update, Windows update, etc.
Once I restart the mouse goes back to the same way its always been. I.E: Sloppy, unresponsive almost impossible to work with.

I believe I've narrowed it down to either a boot issue or an OS issue, and I have little on advice on how to proceed in figuring out what it is.

Any suggestions or information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

grinmore

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
Thank you for the speedy reply, I appreciate someone taking a stab at this issue. I believe I've tried running the Gigabyte app center before and anytime I tried to install something it said it was out of date.

I've also been told to leave drivers alone if they're functioning properly. In this case, they are not.

To sum up the issue as a whole it feels as though either the mouse or the OS is not interpreting the DPI properly, I know its not the hardware because they've all been tested elsewhere and run fine. So it is definitely something on my PC or the OS itself.

As I mentioned above, when I completely wipe the OS, it runs good until I restart.

I have a feeling windows is either shutting down something and forgetting to bring it back up, OR windows is using drivers it shouldn't.

I will take another gander at App Center though.

Thank you again for your reply, if you know of anyone else with the ability or knowledge to help I would be forever grateful if this issue got some traction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
When you restart, you choosing the option in power menu?

reason I ask is normal default Win 10 doesn't turn off when you shut it down, it goes into a hybred sleep mode which saves a copy of all working drivers into ram + a copy of the kernel. The only time a PC with fast startup turned on is actually off is a restart

You can turn fast startup off here but it shouldn't make any difference if you are in fact restarting each time.

Does Zowie mouse use its own drivers? not blaming it for problem since its a replacement but maybe if it uses its own software there is a firmware update? My Steelseries Rival 600 uses its own software, it over rides windows drivers

USB drivers built into windows. its why i suggested gigabyte BIOS update? as the only other answer is hardware

did you boot from a linux live USB and test it is windows or perhaps the PC? if same thing happens on another OS it can't be windows.

grinmore

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016

reason I ask is normal default Win 10 doesn't turn off when you shut it down, it goes into a hybred sleep mode which saves a copy of all working drivers into ram + a copy of the kernel. The only time a PC with fast startup turned on is actually off is a restart

You can turn fast startup off here but it shouldn't make any difference if you are in fact restarting each time.

Does Zowie mouse use its own drivers? not blaming it for problem since its a replacement but maybe if it uses its own software there is a firmware update? My Steelseries Rival 600 uses its own software, it over rides windows drivers

USB drivers built into windows. its why i suggested gigabyte BIOS update? as the only other answer is hardware

did you boot from a linux live USB and test it is windows or perhaps the PC? if same thing happens on another OS it can't be windows.
Last I checked the BIOS is latest version for my board (F9E). when I shut down I do a full power down, as in holding power full 3 seconds to fully cycle.

I gave your idea a try with the Gigabyte center and I installed quite a few things when I restart though the "Not updated" options still stay there as in I installed them but the option is still there to do so. I've installed ME, INF utility, Network adapters and a couple other things. The only thing that wouldn't take was Intel USB 3.0 200 series drivers, my pc reads as 300 series though so that would explain the incompatibility but that leaves the question of whether or not I actually have the right series or set of USB drivers. Right now everything is stock Win 10.

grinmore

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016

I didn't know that Windows doesn't do a full shutdown that might explain why the same drivers come up every time I reboot, I believe you may have given me a path to follow towards fixing it.

What do you suggest I do from here? Shut down and fresh restart or go through the drivers?

and is there a way to wipe the current driver store so that it pulls a new one, once on reboot?

The Zowie mouse uses windows drivers exclusively no other add ons.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
turn off fast startup if you power it down every shutdown or you might corrupt parts of windows that assume PC will still have power on when shut off.

I would shutdown after turning fast startup off and then restart and see what it does. You may need to uninstall the drivers that are trying to install or use System restore to roll back to a time before running the driver updates.

Turning fast startup off is just a work around. its not a solution I would call right, but it can fix problems if the drivers are old. Your hardware isn't old though so we need to figure out which driver is causing this.

as for removing the drivers, the only way I can see is doing a reset, or if you lucky, running system restore back to the day you installed win 10 last time. Depending when last time you fresh installed was, it might be easier to just fresh install again, only takes 30 minutes or less.

grinmore

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
turn off fast startup if you power it down every shutdown or you might corrupt parts of windows that assume PC will still have power on when shut off.

I would shutdown after turning fast startup off and then restart and see what it does. You may need to uninstall the drivers that are trying to install or use System restore to roll back to a time before running the driver updates.

Turning fast startup off is just a work around. its not a solution I would call right, but it can fix problems if the drivers are old. Your hardware isn't old though so we need to figure out which driver is causing this.

as for removing the drivers, the only way I can see is doing a reset, or if you lucky, running system restore back to the day you installed win 10 last time. Depending when last time you fresh installed was, it might be easier to just fresh install again, only takes 30 minutes or less.
I just did a fresh reinstall of windows just 20 minutes ago or so, I've got fast start up off.

You want me to Shutdown completely from a cool boot see if that changes anything?

After restarting here the mouse feels fine, haven't tested it in game yet, but from what I can tell it is okay now.

When I restart though I know it'll start feeling funky again. I'm trying to pinpoint whats changing or being altered as it happens but I've no way to check that or have any idea where to look to monitor a change like that. The only thing I can think of is Windows Event Manager.

After restarting I installed Gigabyte app center and ran a INF and ME update the 3.0 USB still wouldn't go through; stating its incompatible with my PC.

Colif

Win 11 Master
the 3.0 USB still wouldn't go through; stating its incompatible with my PC.

the only USB 3 drivers on the site for motherboard are for win 7, Win 10 includes its own drivers. So they aren't needed. THe mouse behaviour could be caused by another driver that needs to be updated.

As soon as you start using win10 on the PC, windows update will be collecting drivers that match hardware. So it is possible one of the updates is cause for slowdown but its not advisable to not update windows,

Which version of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is either 1803 or 1809

if you on an older version it too could be cause of problem since it may not have the right drivers for hardware

grinmore

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
the only USB 3 drivers on the site for motherboard are for win 7, Win 10 includes its own drivers. So they aren't needed. THe mouse behaviour could be caused by another driver that needs to be updated.

As soon as you start using win10 on the PC, windows update will be collecting drivers that match hardware. So it is possible one of the updates is cause for slowdown but its not advisable to not update windows,

right click start
choose run...

if you on an older version it too could be cause of problem since it may not have the right drivers for hardware
Current version is 1809

grinmore

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016

right click start
choose run...

I figured that out today, I didn't know Intel discontinued Intel USB 3.0 Extensible host drivers, so I guess what I get from windows is the best I've got.

I've gone through and updated things manually in device manager but other than that im not really sure what else it could be.

grinmore

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
After the fresh windows install, the mouse was feeling okay I restarted a couple times as per request of INF, ME and GPU drivers and I can already tell its the same as it was, sloppy, inaccurate, oversensitive.

Colif

Win 11 Master
do you have an ssd or hdd?

Try running in safe mode -
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now

choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

is mouse smooth here? if its caused by 3rd party drivers, it should be smooth here as only windows drivers work in safe mode. its not an answer, just shows it likely some driver we have to figure out what one?

Select start menu ,Type msinfo, select System Information, then Software environment, then system drivers.
shows all drivers but too many, as it includes all MS drivers too.

download http://nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
extract the zip and run application
open windows so you can see more
click on view menu and choose Hide all Microsoft Driver
Expansing Product name will tell you what it is
Creatred date is likely the date Driver was made, Modified was probably date of install

this is what I get
9POLlU6.jpg

can you show what you get?

grinmore

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
do you have an ssd or hdd?

Try running in safe mode -
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now

choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

is mouse smooth here? if its caused by 3rd party drivers, it should be smooth here as only windows drivers work in safe mode. its not an answer, just shows it likely some driver we have to figure out what one?

shows all drivers but too many, as it includes all MS drivers too.

download http://nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
extract the zip and run application
open windows so you can see more
click on view menu and choose Hide all Microsoft Driver
Expansing Product name will tell you what it is
Creatred date is likely the date Driver was made, Modified was probably date of install

this is what I get
9POLlU6.jpg

can you show what you get?
Will do in a minute, I've tried checking it in safe mode before but since I run at 144hz windows only uses 60hz in safe mode, I can't judge it very well because mouse movement there looks choppy to begin with and windows won't allow any other drivers to load there anyhow.

grinmore

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
Will do in a minute, I've tried checking it in safe mode before but since I run at 144hz windows only uses 60hz in safe mode, I can't judge it very well because mouse movement there looks choppy to begin with and windows won't allow any other drivers to load there anyhow.
I missed your first question, I apologize.

I have both an SSD and HDD, SSD has the OS on it HDD is storage.
SSD: Samsung EVO 850
HDD: WB Black 1 Terabyte

TRENDING THREADS