Windows randomly corrupts a few times a year..

OutsideYourWorld

Honorable
Dec 9, 2014
Maybe once or twice a year my computer just won't boot up. It will get to the little windows window, tell me it's repairing, then diagnosing, then takes me to the blue screen where I can choose a bunch of options on how to proceed. Almost exactly a year ago I had the same thing. I couldn't boot into safe mode, so I reinstalled windows onto my HDD (windows had been on my SSD), wiped the SSD, reinstalled it onto the SSD after checking its health (which was near 100% with their diagnostic tool) and kept going.
This happened again so I sent my SSD in under warranty. They didn't actually tell me what was wrong, and it was returned. I can't remember now if something was included with an explanation or not...

Another year later and the OCZ SSD utility says it's at 97% health. But this same issue. Corrupted windows files, so I reinstalled windows on my HDD. Checked ram health with no issues seen. My motherboard and CPU are old, from around 2010, could those be culprits? But if so, why am I not having issues on my HDD? :p

I have read into it, and tried several things, but i'm pretty stumped.

Solution
I have to ask, since your getting errors on your OS, and now on your SSD and HDD, is your copy of windows a verified or "downloaded from some other site than Microsoft"?

amddvr.exe is your video card driver, since you said it was a new install of your O/S (combined with all the other symptoms) I am wondering if your not better off to go directly to Microsoft and get a clean copy of windows 10 and install it. (hit skip if you don't have a license)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

is your system a Ryzen?

OutsideYourWorld

Honorable
Dec 9, 2014
Of course, sorry.

"OCZ Vertex 460 SATA III Solid State Drive 240GB"

I've noticed they don't have the best reputation. Hopefully it is just that. Then maybe i'll just buy a smaller one for my OS and use this for all my games.

OutsideYourWorld

Honorable
Dec 9, 2014

I don't. I thought I had read that defragging SSD's wasn't a good thing?

well that explains your windows file corruption.

as for not good for the ssd, if you do it once a month, a simple defrag will not make your ssd die early. I have had 3 ssds for 2 years, and I fail to see any of them dying on me, but I do not see my windows files corrupting either. :)

But like mentioned earlier the model your using seems to have reliability issues, have you checked with OCZ if they have issued firmware updates for your SSD model?

OutsideYourWorld

Honorable
Dec 9, 2014
4.70 free of 223. So I guess there isn't that much to optimize/defrag?

So should I just wipe the drive, fresh OS install, and see how it goes? And defrag every month? (with SSD's it's "optimizing," right?)

OutsideYourWorld

Honorable
Dec 9, 2014

OK so I reformatted SSD and ran the defrag/optimize on it. Reinstalled windows. It ran great yesterday. On booting up this morning I get an error from amddvr.exe unable to start. After that steam gets an error, chrome will open but pages won't load, Spotify kernel is invalid, Explorer.exe error with "class not registered...

It seems the biggest problems happen on the first boot of the day.

So by this point can I assume the SSD is just shit? :p

Now I reinstalled my OS back to yet another HDD and while running windows update I got a "Critical structure corruption." Restarted and am continuing the windows update..

I have to ask, since your getting errors on your OS, and now on your SSD and HDD, is your copy of windows a verified or "downloaded from some other site than Microsoft"?

amddvr.exe is your video card driver, since you said it was a new install of your O/S (combined with all the other symptoms) I am wondering if your not better off to go directly to Microsoft and get a clean copy of windows 10 and install it. (hit skip if you don't have a license)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

is your system a Ryzen?

Solution