[SOLVED] Windows refuses to let me close disk session

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
I already lost a 5 dollar disk due to the windows built in disk burner being inadequate and horribly built. I made a bunch of blu Ray data disks and they are all still open and windows will not let me finalize them. I tried finalizing one in third party software by adding a small file then clicking finalize disk, and it worked but destroyed all the previous stuff on the disk. These disks are expensive m discs and I'm not going to make another coaster. I need to know how to finalize the disks I already burned in windows, I will start using the third party burner software but I already burned a bunch and need to close them to use them in other PC's. When I right click the disk in windows there is no option to finalize, when I go into global settings and tick the boxes to finalize after burn/eject it still won't finalize. I have like 40 dollars in open disks I need to finalize.

Solution
You can't rewrite those disks. They are not rewritable. Once written, that's it. I'm afraid you've probably wasted your money. You should NEVER use Windows built in applications, for pretty much anything, but for sure with burning discs. Windows built in disc burning has always been atrocious, and at best, worked occasionally, if at all.

Yes, they say you can go back and close session on unclosed discs, but personally, I've rarely seen it work correctly if the disc wasn't closed at the end of the previous write operation, and never with M discs. It's possible, perhaps even common, but I've never seen it nor had to do it because everything I've ever written was automatically closed by the software applications I use and typically...

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
did you burn the disks that woudnt close in windows then close them with software?
We are talking the early days of CDs then early days of DVDs. I never used the built in Windows crap (because I assumed it was crap). But it is exactly like the old days. I wasted a lot of cds/not as many dvds,but some.

Get better software. Sounds like Windows thinks you want to burn more and is not closing the session.

If Fireburner is still around and up to BlueRay,get it. Fireburner was my "not-gonna-make-a-coaster" goto software.

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
We are talking the early days of CDs then early days of DVDs. I never used the built in Windows crap (because I assumed it was crap). But it is exactly like the old days. I wasted a lot of cds/not as many dvds,but some.

Get better software. Sounds like Windows thinks you want to burn more and is not closing the session.

If Fireburner is still around and up to BlueRay,get it. Fireburner was my "not-gonna-make-a-coaster" goto software.
right now im using cdburner xp, I know its old but i just got a good burn and the disc closed after so I will stick with that for now. the built in windows burner is so bad its slow, doesn't close your disk most of the time and I expect a lot more out of a multi billion dollar company.

Status
Not open for further replies.