News Windows Reportedly Entering Three-Year Development Cycles

USAFRet

Titan
"This would place Microsoft's next major OS revamp (word of mouth codenames it the "Next Valley" OS) sometime within 2024 "

So would this be 'Windows 12', or are they going back to the concept of just calling it "Windows" ?

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
My Explorer.exe is replaced by a freeware app (ExplorerPatcher) developed by one dude, and similarly File Explorer is replaced by Total Commander. The Microsoft Store is still hated by everyone. But keep trying with those "features" Microsoft.

only win updates i will actually care about:

No longer forcing me to update (im tech savvy and will update patches for issues but i dont want EVERY update as a lot of it is bloat or not used)

Giving option to get rid of win11 start menu and go back to a normal one (really loathe them for making 8 and 11 be 2nd class to tablet/android look -.-)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
only win updates i will actually care about:

No longer forcing me to update (im tech savvy and will update patches for issues but i dont want EVERY update as a lot of it is bloat or not used)

Giving option to get rid of win11 start menu and go back to a normal one (really loathe them for making 8 and 11 be 2nd class to tablet/android look -.-)

It's all a conspiracy to correct left side preference! When was the last time you remember noticing an advertisement on the right side of the screen! Fetch me my tinfoil hat! We'll take this all the way to Pentaverate!

missingxtension

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Finally back to actually tested release cycles. The stupid Android and Apple (the metoos, copycats) release schedules are soo stupid. Those rolling releases and repository systems can only work on Open source OSes that are continually worked on, like Darwin or Debían. They managed to ruin the rolling release cycle by forcing upgrades to hardware (with closed hardware) and locking repositories. You want root, no nfc for you.

XaveT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2013
I smell corporate greed...

Equip Tin Foil Hat

They won't actually test or do anything better, they just have to throw less resources at it since they've managed to push a lot of businesses to the M365 plans. It's all about promising the moon, jacking up the price, then paring back features/speed. That pace was untenable, but we didn't really have a choice but to go to M365 in Enterprise.

Well done, Microsoft, you pile of rancid garbage, well done.

Unequip Tin Foil Hat