[SOLVED] Windows reset clean data option for SSD

Jeremias

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
I'm helping my bro sell away his old Asus laptop. It comes with a SSD bootdrive and a HDD for extra storage.

From my understanding, it's always best to choose the clean data option when resetting Windows if selling the computer, as it writes 0s on the entire HDD.
However, does this also hold true for the SSD since it works differently? Will I be damaging the SSD since they have a limited read/write life. Or am I just being paranoid and Windows reset with the clean data option will do everything fine for me?

Solution
Not "reset"...rather an actual clean install.

And no, doing that will not kill the drive lifespan.
Now...if you did it twice a day, every day, for a couple of years...then you might have issues.
It's fine. You're not damaging the SSD by performing a clean operation on it and honestly, the whole limited write cycle thing causes a ton of unneeded paranoia.

Though note if the SSD was encrypted via Bitlocker, drive cleaning just removes the keys since the data is unusable without it and effectively makes the data unrecoverable.

USAFRet

Titan
Not "reset"...rather an actual clean install.

And no, doing that will not kill the drive lifespan.
Now...if you did it twice a day, every day, for a couple of years...then you might have issues.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS