Windows resets

jamie

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

I bought a computer from a local school at an auction. I have successfully
gotten past the network requirement and have set up my modem, etc. However,
everytime I reboot, it resets everything! So when I try to connect to the
internet, I get to the point where it has to reboot, then everything I have
done is wiped out. What do I need to do to disable this?

"Jamie" <Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I bought a computer from a local school at an auction. I have successfully
> gotten past the network requirement and have set up my modem, etc.
However,
> everytime I reboot, it resets everything! So when I try to connect to the
> internet, I get to the point where it has to reboot, then everything I
have
> done is wiped out. What do I need to do to disable this?

If "resets everything" refers to your BIOS settings, perhaps
you need to replace the main board's CMOS battery. If not,
repost here with more detail.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

jamie

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

It does not reset the CMOS...only Windows settings.

"Don Phillipson" wrote:

> "Jamie" <Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > I bought a computer from a local school at an auction. I have successfully
> > gotten past the network requirement and have set up my modem, etc.
> However,
> > everytime I reboot, it resets everything! So when I try to connect to the
> > internet, I get to the point where it has to reboot, then everything I
> have
> > done is wiped out. What do I need to do to disable this?
>
> If "resets everything" refers to your BIOS settings, perhaps
> you need to replace the main board's CMOS battery. If not,
> repost here with more detail.
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

It is typical for schools to use software that restores the system to a pristine
state upon rebooting. All permanent work is either saved to floppy or CD, or is
stored on a central server. Whether it's done by restoring an image, or some
other mechanism is involved, you need to discover what it is and disable it. I'm
not familiar enough with these practices to suggest any further procedures.
Personally, I'd want to reformat and reinstall the system from scratch. I'd
always be afraid that the "Restore upon reboot" mechanism would be accidentally
executed at some later date.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"=?Utf-8?B?SmFtaWU=?=" <Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I bought a computer from a local school at an auction. I have
> successfully gotten past the network requirement and have set up my
> modem, etc. However, everytime I reboot, it resets everything! So when
> I try to connect to the internet, I get to the point where it has to
> reboot, then everything I have done is wiped out. What do I need to do
> to disable this?

Why do you have to reboot when you connect to the internet? How do you
connect?

I presume he's talking about when he sets up the network connections. You have
to reboot after that.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Ingeborg" <a@b.invalid> wrote in message
> "=?Utf-8?B?SmFtaWU=?=" <Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>
>> I bought a computer from a local school at an auction. I have
>> successfully gotten past the network requirement and have set up my
>> modem, etc. However, everytime I reboot, it resets everything! So when
>> I try to connect to the internet, I get to the point where it has to
>> reboot, then everything I have done is wiped out. What do I need to do
>> to disable this?
>
> Why do you have to reboot when you connect to the internet? How do you
> connect?

jamie

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

The point is...when I reboot the Windows settings reset. I got it to connect
to the internet without rebooting, but what was happening was Windows was
installing the dial-up network adapters then it wanted to reboot. Again, once
that happened everything was lost.