Question Windows restarts at night from time to time

utnalove

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2013
Hello,

I am running a desktop with Windows 10 22H2.
Since half year I have windows Update disabled.
-updates paused

However in the night from time to time. Roughly 5-10 time a month. In the morning when I turn on the monitor I see:
-Outlook still open, but marked in orange (like something changed)
-skype that was only hidden with a small icon near the clock, it has now a full tab open in the taskbar and its windows open
-Chrome is off
etc

So a similar behavior as if the computer rebooted in the night and tried to restore the last session.

This is very problematic because it happened once again that an outlook PST file cot corrupted, chrome won't restore the previous session, etc.

In the event viewer I do not see information of system restart.
In the windows updates history, I see the last update was done (I remember manually) in May 2023. Now is August 2023 and the PC had this strange behavior once again yesterday night and today night.

Please help what else I can check, what is making this strange thing happen.

Lutfij

Titan
You could see if the platform has any BIOS updates pending. You could try a repair install of the OS but I'd rather try and install the OS from scratch then manually install all relevant drivers for your platform n an elevated command. The reinstall will at least make sure you've got the latest version of the OS.

Please keep in mind that an older platform like the 4th Gen Intel or prior will have hiccups as you've mentioned. I do too with my i7-4770k platform and I circumvent it with an OS reinstall when a n update spits out BSoD's during an update.

utnalove

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2013
I have Core i7-4930K
m-board: Asus X79-DELUXE

There are no pending bios updates. The bios was lastly updated few years ago and there are no new ones.

It's not restarting with BSoD because there are no relative messages in the eventviewer.
Nor there are crash dumps nor mini dumps.

When there are hiccups the computer may reboot, and then after login all the programs would have to be re-opened manually.

Here I am talking about something similar to a reboot that:
  • Happens only during the night few times a month. During the day it never happens.
  • It's not a standard reboot because in the morning I just have to put my password and part of the programs are opened in the taskbar, etc.

I have Core i7-4930K
m-board: Asus X79-DELUXE

There are no pending bios updates. The bios was lastly updated few years ago and there are no new ones.

It's not restarting with BSoD because there are no relative messages in the eventviewer.
Nor there are crash dumps nor mini dumps.

When there are hiccups the computer may reboot, and then after login all the programs would have to be re-opened manually.

Here I am talking about something similar to a reboot that:
  • Happens only during the night few times a month. During the day it never happens.
  • It's not a standard reboot because in the morning I just have to put my password and part of the programs are opened in the taskbar, etc.
can you upload your eventviewer logs?

Here they are. Filtered only by time, when this happened.

eventvwr1.evtx one day
that would be application logs, intel driver got updated at 1:10 am, restart manager couldnt reload several apps and throwed machine restart required which happenned around 30min later

but hard to tell you exact times as you didnt upload system logs which would show more of that story

Reactions: utnalove
Code:
15.08.2023 0:57:02  User32 - 1074
The process C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe (DESKTOP-ORRQG9O) has initiated the restart of computer DESKTOP-ORRQG9O on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Service pack (Planned)
 Reason Code: 0x80020010
 Shutdown Type: restart

Code:
15.08.2023 0:57:46  Kernel-Power - 109
The kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown transition.

Action: Power Action Reboot
Event Code: 0x0
Reason: Kernel API

Code:
15.08.2023 1:00:41  WindowsUpdateClient - 19
Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8.1 for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64 (KB5011048)

Code:
15.08.2023 1:08:50  WindowsUpdateClient - 43
Installation Started: Windows has started installing the following update: 2023-08 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64 (KB5029649)

Code:
15.08.2023 1:33:04  User32 - 1074
The process C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe (DESKTOP-ORRQG9O) has initiated the restart of computer DESKTOP-ORRQG9O on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Service pack (Planned)
 Reason Code: 0x80020010
 Shutdown Type: restart

Code:
15.08.2023 1:33:18  Kernel-Power - 109
The kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown transition.

Action: Power Action Reboot
Event Code: 0x0
Reason: Kernel API

Code:
15.08.2023 1:36:11  WindowsUpdateClient - 19
Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: 2023-08 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64 (KB5029649)

so in summary, your PC is set for autoreboot on windows updates, intel driver just happened to update itself on startup

as for you random app lossing content issue (failed to restore session properly)
theres one drive with bad sectors and theres also event id 158 popping up
you should read it and correct it

utnalove

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2013
Thanks, I changed some updates settings via group policy... will monitor that.

Btw... with regards to event 158 it seems that the solution would be to install MPIO. However it seems it is available only for Windows server versions. Any idea how to fix hard drive duplicated identifiers?