[SOLVED] Windows restore - lost Marvell Raid Controller?

ivanhoe

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Hi,

My Windows 10 OS corrupted and I had to do a clean restore. I have backups of all our files and I didn't keep a disc image as I figured a clean rebuild wasn't a bad thing (although perhaps didn't appreciate the amount of work to reload all the apps. reset preferences etc). I have the OS and other programs on an SSD - then I had my data files on two large HDDs set up in a RAID configuration.

But Windows cannot see the HDD at all. It doesn't appear in Disc Management in any form. I think I have deleted the Marvell Raid controller. There is a Raid Controller in the Device Manager but it non functioning as it lacks a driver. I have searched for drivers all over, tried 3-4 options from Marvell and WIndows and non has worked so far. I even tried the Marvell Raid Utility but it is asking for a Password?!

I'm also wondering if perhaps I have somehow done this at the BIOS level as there is Raid Controller reference in the BIOS - that looks like its orange rather than blue?

Any advice as to how I might recover the data from the HDDs? I would prefer not to have to completely rebuild all our data from the Backup?

Solution
Ok, those are esata ports and are slot located on rear of the pc case, much like your rear usb ports.

It sounded like your drives are internal so I believe that your drives are probably connected to the intel ports using Sata ports labeled Sata2 ports 2 thru 5 (see your motherboard manual Here pg 7 for a picture. ) So all you need is to install your Chipset driver and then intel RST from the support page linked by SkyNetRising. Use the Intel RST driver from Windows 8.1, its the same one Intel links to on their RST page for Z77.

ivanhoe

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Yes I had to do a clean Windows 10 install off a USB drive. Not showing in device manager / storage spaces or disk manager in Windows. Not 100% sure where to look in BIOS - I'll go have a look.

Nothing has changed physically, the disc was in the machine and I could see it was there using the command prompt from the USB before the clean install. There was an OEM partition on the SSD C: drive that I had to delete to do the install - could it have been in there?

popatim

Titan
You can get the Marvel Raid driver from your motherboards support page in the Drivers or Downloads section if this is something on your motherboard. Most motherboards have Intel or AMD chipsets which also support Raid mode so be sure yours has a Marvel specific section.

If this is an Add-in card controlling an eSata enclosure with the disks in some kind of raid mode then you'll need to know the exact make and model# of the card for me to feel comfortable recommending a driver.

If you used windows storage spaces to create the raid then you may just need to import the foreign disks now. .

Reactions: ivanhoe

ivanhoe

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
You can get the Marvel Raid driver from your motherboards support page in the Drivers or Downloads section if this is something on your motherboard. Most motherboards have Intel or AMD chipsets which also support Raid mode so be sure yours has a Marvel specific section.

If this is an Add-in card controlling an eSata enclosure with the disks in some kind of raid mode then you'll need to know the exact make and model# of the card for me to feel comfortable recommending a driver.

If you used windows storage spaces to create the raid then you may just need to import the foreign disks now. .
Thats helpful thanks popatim. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z77X And this is what I found under the specs:

Storage Interfaces
SATA-600 -connectors: 2 x 7pin Serial ATA - 2 devices - RAID 0 / RAID 1 / RAID 10 / RAID 5
SATA-300 -connectors: 4 x 7pin SATA, 1 x mSATA - 4 devices - RAID 0 / RAID 1 / RAID 10 / RAID 5
Marvell 88SE9172: SATA-600 -connectors: 2 x 7pin Serial ATA - 2 devices - RAID 0 / RAID 1

So I should look for a driver for Marvell 88SE9172 ?

popatim

Titan
Ok, those are esata ports and are slot located on rear of the pc case, much like your rear usb ports.

It sounded like your drives are internal so I believe that your drives are probably connected to the intel ports using Sata ports labeled Sata2 ports 2 thru 5 (see your motherboard manual Here pg 7 for a picture. ) So all you need is to install your Chipset driver and then intel RST from the support page linked by SkyNetRising. Use the Intel RST driver from Windows 8.1, its the same one Intel links to on their RST page for Z77.

Solution

ivanhoe

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
thanks @popatim and @SkyNetRising . I loaded those drivers and the D Drive suddenly re-appeared as if I had just plugged it in! Its been a few days and it seems to have settled down - so really appreciate your help.

Having a few residual glitches with a fresh windows install e.g. not wanting to turn off (Fast Start) or wake up after sleeping - and having to reset a lot of preferences etcs - but its kinda nice to have a "clean" PC again.