Windows RT Facing Same Fate as webOS?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
its still doing better then chrome os lol. 500 000 units in 2 years compared to over a million surface rt's in 6 months.

just more media fluff. title should read chrome os heading same was as web os.

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
still its well known that kevin parrish is a apple fanboy so hes always keen to point out everyone else's faults while putting apple on a pedestal.

move along ppl nothing to read here.

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
still its well known that kevin parrish is a apple fanboy so hes always keen to point out everyone else's faults while putting apple on a pedestal.

move along ppl nothing to read here.

nikolajj

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Well... new tablets is on their way, and the sales are wrong. Windows tablets and phones are upgoing still.
Tho I think that RT is unneeded, when we have Win8 Pro.

brettms71

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Well i'm using one for work, and so are a lot of my peers. I think the RT is great for a business tool. Easy to integrate compared with an iPad, and has all the tools i need to work effectively. It's not for everyone or every task, but does the job it was designed to do very well.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Don't see the point of Windows RT and Windows Phone as a separate OS. They rely on the same pool of hardware and software. Realistically there should have never been a Windows RT.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

Why not? I am personally sick of Intel and want ARM to take its place ...

in few years , the ARM will start competing with Intel. and MS are smart having an OS that supports ARM

hiryu

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
MS used to own the mobile platform (along with Symbian). After iPhone first released, MS took too long to respond and let the iOS and Android took over the market. After seeing the success of Apple, MS attempted (IMO) to copy Apple's business model including arrogant attitude of Apple. It turned out to be a major failure. Windows RT or WP may be the better devices (on its own), but the ecosystem still cannot compare to iOS or Android. The market is already saturated, unless MS can do something revolutionary, there won't be any chance for Windows RT or WP to succeed.
The only chance for MS is to expand x86 platform to mobile and stops being arrogant like Apple.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
The day you fail is the day you stop listening to your customers. Microsoft has done that. They took the star button away when most said they wanted it. They tried to make the new Xbox require a connection and said if you don't like it buy a 360. And last, and the one I like the best, they try to make me pay for this gold crap just to watch my Netflix THAT I'M ALREADY PAYING FOR. Keep thinking you know better and keep watching your sales fall.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
With the lower cost for Atom (x86) processors being able to run Windows 8 Pro, and the release of Intel's Haswell platform this year providing good performance/long battery life (x86) devices to run Windows 8 Pro laptops, tablets and hybrid devices there really is no need for the Windows RT platform.

The Windows RT platform was so that Microsoft could offer a comparable ARM platform device in the tablet market which would mirror iOS/Android devices for battery life knowing that the x86 hardware was not yet ready to compete.

We should see an increase of hybrid and tablet devices running Windows 8 Pro in the coming months that will be much more competitive with Android/iOS. Personally, I will be looking to drop my ASUS Infinity for a Surface Pro 2 if Microsoft releases that form factor with a Intel Haswell, thinner design and longer battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.