[SOLVED] Windows says there’s a 2nd display but there isn’t and I don’t know what to do

Kashimi

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
Just received an i7-4770K with a 780 as payment for some IT work. Thing is, when the pc starts it won’t display an image until Windows 10 loads. Inside of windows it says I have two displayed plugged in but I don’t, it’s only one HDMI monitor.

I deleted everything off the hard drive including the partition and did a fresh windows 10 install. I ran all of the updates and installed GeForce experience and everything. Still shows a second monitor being plugged in.

I was able to unplug the GPU and access the UEFI and I tried to set it to PCIe but still nothing and now I don’t have any image at all. Not even when windows loads.

I’m at a complete loss at this point. I don’t know what to do to fix this.

Solution
Video card can be bad, test it in another system. Bit odd if you set the main video to PCIe and it got not display, it should have just used the 780 then.
Okay two things come in mind.

Try plugging a second monitor/TV and see if it recognizes it as a third or still shows 2. Then unplug it and see if anything changes.

Second thing to try is to use another drive (HDD, SSD) without the one that was with the PC and install Windows or Linux there and see if the problem remains.

Oct 1, 2021
Can you get into screen properties (desktop - right click) and try to detect/identify?
Might be virtual screen, you can check drivers/properties for 2nd screen.