Question Windows Security/ Protection History/ Invalid Entries

Pez

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Hi all.

Some of you are probably aware of an item known as a "game trainer" for PC games; a popular site to get them is[link removed]

Some of these trainers (since, when you launch them, are modifying an existing file) come with a warning on this web site, that it may trigger a browser to show the downloadable file as having a virus or malware (there are ways around this to download the content anyway, one of which is not using Google Chrome browser, etc.).

And then, even if you go ahead and download the file anyway, your antivirus program may detect it as a potentially harmful file, too.

And yes, I know, there always is the possibility that a file really could be infected, but, I've always had good luck with this site. So, it's a choice and a chance one takes.

I use the built-in antivirus with Windows 10, Windows Security.

Not too long ago, I had downloaded some trainers from this site, and yes, they were detected as being potentially dangerous. When downloading them, they download as a ZIP/ RAR file. I ended up not using the trainer, and, I deleted it from my computer (and also deleted it from my Recycle Bin). However.....

However, these files are still showing up as having been detected in my system by Windows Security.

When I launch Windows Security, click on Virus Threat & Protection, then click on Protection History, you see what I've shown in my first pic labeled WSPH1.
WSPH1.jpg

And then if I click on the first one listed, you see what's in my 2nd pic labeled WSPH2.
WSPH2.jpg

You'll notice under the drop-down menu from "Actions" is only one choice: "Allow"......but Allow what??? I wish there was a choice of deleting it, but, the file is no longer on my system anyway.

And then on the 3rd pic I have labeled WSPH3, there is no drop-down menu for "Actions".
WSPH3.jpg

So, bottom line: How do I get rid of these invalid entries in my Windows Security Protection History? I find it strange because neither of these files is still on my system.

Thanks for any help;
Pez

Pez

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Hi popatim; thanks for the reply.

Yes, I know what you mean: They were valid entries at the time when detected by Windows Security. But here's the thing:

I'm pretty sure that in the past, when Windows Security detected a file as being suspicious/ dangerous (like these game trainers), and then I would choose to either Allow/ Quarantine/ or Delete, that these entries would go away from the History, especially if I Deleted it from inside of Windows Security.

This time, even though the file got detected by Windows Security, I had gone/ navigated to the file (RAR/ ZIP) in question in the folder it was at, and then I manually deleted it from there (and then also deleted it from my Recycle Bin). But, as you can see from my pics above, it still shows up in Windows Security, and if I click the down-arrow on Actions, the only choice is "Allow".....even though technically the file doesn't exist anymore.

Maybe out of curiosity, I should select "Allow" and just see what happens :p

Usually, with these game trainers, I trust them, and in Windows Security I usually select "Allow", but for whatever reason, I had my doubts on this one, but instead of Quarantining or Deleting from within Windows Security, I deleted them from the folder they were in. I guess I just find it annoying that it's still showing up in Windows Security even though I deleted it from my system; I'd swear that in the past when I've done this, there's no trace of it in Windows Security anymore....but I could be wrong ;)

Pez