[SOLVED] Windows Server 2019 Standard Licensing Question

appletatoes

Honorable
Sep 3, 2017
I was wondering about the way Microsoft licenses Windows Server 2019 Standard. I'm trying to understand if I'll need more than one license to have several servers within one network. For example, a File Share server, a Print server, a Domain Controller, DHCP server and more.

I'm thinking in terms of having more than one physical server to perform these tasks individually by configuring each one to only perform those specific tasks. Ultimately, a virtual machine to perform each of these tasks would be more realistic but if you setup multiple physical servers or virtual machines, do you need more than one Windows Server license for each of these physical machines or virtual machines?

Thank you.

appletatoes

Honorable
Sep 3, 2017
Each physical server WILL need its own license. Even a VirtualMachine needs a license.
Features
DatacenterStandard
Core functionality of Windows Server
Operating system environment (OSEs/Hyper-V containers)Unlimited2*
*Standard edition permits use of one running instance of the server software in the physical OSE on the licensed server (in addition to two virtual OSEs), if the physical OSE is used solely to host and manage the virtual OSEs.

This is what I found on Microsoft's website. Does this mean that you can have two more instances of the same license running but only if it is two virtual machines within the one physical server?

USAFRet

Titan
OK...you can have the Host OS, and 2x VM's, on the same physical box.
Each physical box will need its own license.

But...you do know that you can run multiple of the functions you listed on one single box.
Print server, File server, DC, etc....all on one physical box and OS install.

appletatoes

Honorable
Sep 3, 2017
OK...you can have the Host OS, and 2x VM's, on the same physical box.
Each physical box will need its own license.

But...you do know that you can run multiple of the functions you listed on one single box.
Print server, File server, DC, etc....all on one physical box and OS install.
I know you can run all those features on one server but I'm guessing you would only separate those features into their own physical machine or virtual machine for very large corporations? When would I need to do something like that and is it safe to run everything off of one physical server or one virtual machine? I read somewhere that someone did everything on one physical machine and then had the file sharing and backups on another server and active directory on another. Is there a way to do that with one Windows Server 2019 license? I guess you would have to run the file sharing server and the active directory server as a virtual machine within the one physical machine?

USAFRet

Titan
Server 2019 Essentials allows 25 users and 50 devices (ex. printers), in one license.
Server 2019 Standard requires buying individual Client Access License (CAL) for each user.

For a small business, Essentials is far less expensive.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/pricing

Why and when to put different functions on different physical systems? This is strictly a configuration issue. And relates to usage, system capabilities, etc, etc.

Who is this system for? Are you tapped as the systems engineer?

appletatoes

Honorable
Sep 3, 2017
Server 2019 Essentials allows 25 users and 50 devices (ex. printers), in one license.
Server 2019 Standard requires buying individual Client Access License (CAL) for each user.

For a small business, Essentials is far less expensive.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/pricing

Why and when to put different functions on different physical systems? This is strictly a configuration issue. And relates to usage, system capabilities, etc, etc.

Who is this system for? Are you tapped as the systems engineer?
Thank you and I'm doing my research now before I get presented with an opportunity to build or manage a company's server. So there is no real reason to separate server features? It is mostly based on whether or not a physical system can handle all of the functions? I thought businesses did that to not have all your "eggs in one basket."

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you and I'm doing my research now before I get presented with an opportunity to build or manage a company's server. So there is no real reason to separate server features? It is mostly based on whether or not a physical system can handle all of the functions? I thought businesses did that to not have all your "eggs in one basket."
There is no One True Way.

In some realms, some functions may exist on the same box or VM.
Other realms, each gets its own VM instance.
In even other realms, no VM, all physical boxes.

In All realms, backups, redundancy, failover, etc, etc.

appletatoes

Honorable
Sep 3, 2017
There is no One True Way.

In some realms, some functions may exist on the same box or VM.
Other realms, each gets its own VM instance.
In even other realms, no VM, all physical boxes.

In All realms, backups, redundancy, failover, etc, etc.
Very well put and that's what I was kind of thinking. With the Essential version, can you have as many physical machines or VMs with the one license?

appletatoes

Honorable
Sep 3, 2017
1 license, 1 device.
In the small business realm that Essentials is aimed at, all those listed functions would run on the same box. Maybe 2.
Okay thank you for your help. Then there are CALs which are needed either per user or per device which you purchase separately correct? Do you get any CALs with a Windows Server license?