[SOLVED] Windows Spotlight information

marvindash

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
Firstly, apologies if this isn't ending up in the right section of the forum. The Xbox One advert currently running on the site eclipses much of the screen and makes it impossible to read names of sections of the forum, thread titles, etc. I'm using Chrome.

I have an issue with Windows Spotlight on my PC. It used to show information about the photo displayed. It still does so on my laptop and on my partner's PC. All of these computers are on Windows 10. After some research online, the solution always suggested (and the one I've used three times, all unsuccessfully), is as follows:

1. Open Settings
  2. Click on Personalization
  3. Click on Lock screen
  4. Under Background, change Windows Spotlight to Picture (or Slideshow)
  5. Go to C:\Users\Minerva\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_cw5n1h2txyewy\Settings
  6. Delete the Settings and Roaming files in there
  7. Go back to Settings
  8. Click on Personalization
  9. Click on Lock screen
  10. Under Background, change Picture (or Slideshow) back to Windows Spotlight
  11. Restart computer

This doesn't work. All I get is a photo, no information about the photo. Any ideas on restoring the information?

Solution
problem with features like lock screen is I am not sure if some fixes actually help

You could try
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

I will have to look for other fixes tomorrow, I have to go soon.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Firstly, apologies if this isn't ending up in the right section of the forum. The Xbox One advert currently running on the site eclipses much of the screen and makes it impossible to read names of sections of the forum, thread titles, etc. I'm using Chrome.
you could use ublock origin, I don't see any adverts although until you get 5 Best Answers, you would still get them without the blocker.

Are you using a PIN to logon as it appears using that may make the descriptions go away
I've had the same issue you are reporting. I noticed that the photo description stopped appearing from the moment I turn the PIN access ON. Just turn it OFF deleting your saved PIN and the description will show up again on the lock screen. Hit Windows+L to check.

I would really like Windows to fix this. The PIN access comes very handy but the photos are very nice and I'm always curious about their background.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e/ef91a81e-42d0-43b6-9ca7-32295d45166f?auth=1

marvindash

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
Are you using a PIN to logon as it appears using that may make the descriptions go away

No, I'm not using a PIN. I'm using a password, but that was always the case and the information on the Windows Spotlight photos was present for a long, long time after I started using a PC with Windows 10, despite never doing without a password to log on. All I'd have to do is hover the mouse around and it would be there.

Colif

Win 11 Master
problem with features like lock screen is I am not sure if some fixes actually help

You could try
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

I will have to look for other fixes tomorrow, I have to go soon.

Solution